what is wrong with the BPD?

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/12 8:35 am, edited 4/26/12 8:35 am - WA
Medicare only covers three types of surgerys. RNY, AGB, BPD. so what is wrong with the BPD and is there anything right about it?
WeightNoMoreSherri
on 4/29/12 12:37 pm - St George, UT
 Hello there, I wanted to take a moment to say that I am living proof that BPD/DS works. I weighed 332 and lost 208 since 1999. Actually, I lost it all within 2 years and have not gained any of it back.

I have yearly lab tests and they come back good and I take Vitimins that consist of B's, Calcium, Pre-Natal Multi, Iron.

I can only still eat small amounts through out the day yet I have remained healthy without dieting. I watch that my protein intakes stay about 80 grams per day but other than that I have a little problem keeping weight on.

So, I range from 117-124 and usually stay at the 124 weight. I did have to have my Tummy skin taken off but have opted to not have any further Plastics.

My website can be found on my profile if you are interested. I do not sell anything on my site, it is a new site that we just help each other find the information we are looking for.

Hope this helped, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have now or in the future.

~ Peace, Sherri   

Sherri ~ BPD/DS ~ Dr. Robert Rabkin ~ San Francisco ~
                 March 15th, 1999 SW 332 CW 123
MsBatt
on 4/30/12 2:31 am
Does your insurance cover the BPD, or the BPD/DS? Two entirely different animals. Here are some pics to illustrate:

If you really have a Scopinaro BPD, you have a very large pouch, distal RNY. It looks like this:

A true DS (sometimes called a BPD with DS/duodenal switch) looks like this:

I'm pretty sure that your insurance company would be more likely to cover the DS than the BPD. Very few people DO the BPD any more.
Ladytazz
on 4/30/12 4:36 am
Medicare covers the DS, also called the BPD/DS.  Maybe you just aren't reading it completely?

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

southernlady5464
on 6/5/12 8:31 am
Actually Medicare covers the DS (altho they use the term BPD/DS). I should know, they paid for mine.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Valerie G.
on 7/18/12 8:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Medicare covers BPD/DS
This forum is the poor souls of the unimproved lessor procedure that has since been fixed by the DS.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

1Blessed4life
on 11/30/12 2:26 pm, edited 11/30/12 2:30 pm

I guess I am one of those 'poor souls' that now have the BPD not the DS. Not by choice. I flew across country to have the DS, but during the laparoscopic procedure the staple gun misfired & they had to open me up to fix the damage - whi*****luded taking my duodenal stump (would have been left with correct DS procedure) & my pyloric valve - to get into healthier tissue that was not damaged. I have lost 118 lbs, and have maintained at just under 140lbs for over 2 yrs. My concern is that possibly without my pyloric valve (No, I do not have any dumping syndrome - which surprised the doc) that I may be 'washing down' my food quicker than if I did have the valve. So I am following labs every 3 mos. And looking forward to following up with another Nutritionist - hopefully one that knows or supports that my numbers need to be on the high end to maintain my health.

View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image 
 HW: 260 / SW: 254 / CW: 140 on 01/15/13 Orig GW: 150             ~Jeremiah 29:11  

MsBatt
on 12/7/12 5:28 am

How much of your small intestine did they completely remove from your body? Do you have any bowel issues?

The BPD is a highly effective surgery for weight-loss, but it sometimes comes with some pretty unpleasant bowel and vitamin issues. Good luck to you!

Chelle6954
on 4/30/13 2:41 am - NC
Agree with Msbatt.... I had BPDDS in 2002, lost over 150 lbs easily, with several health issues resolving, thought I had hit the jackpot. But I have struggled with anemia, low vit D, low calcium, low protein, horrible digestive issues every day. I have other chronic health problems unrelated to the weight. I now must take more than 2 x the amt of meds needed to achieve proper amt in my bloodstream due to the fact that I do not absorb them all as I have only 4 feet of working small intestine (the other 20 was bypassed). Think 40 or more pills a day. And I did get lucky just recently to find that if I eliminate wheat products from my diet (think gluten-intolerant: breads, pasta, pizza, all that good stuff) my digestive issues resolve. But here is where I just have to be blunt... Every day since my surgery until I eliminated gluten, I suffered extreme abdominal bloating, painful cramps and gas, awful smelly flatulence to which I could not control when it would happen or stop it from happening (out in public...). And the worst-daily diarrhea, sometimes even preventing me from leaving my home because once it got started, it continued off and on up to 3 hours at a time. If I had to have a bowel movement away from home, sometimes I would just cry because of how mean other women would be that might enter the restroom. And as for the BMs and gas, there was no "holding it". When I had to go, I had to go. Thank Goodness the change in diet has made me normal again. But those negatives had such an effect on me over the years I want each person considering BPDDS to know what could happen. I am sure there are plenty of great responses to that surgery, but if I had to do it over again, I'd do the RNY like my husband.
Most Active