URGENT: TO ALL compliant, successful DS'er postops

harvener
on 6/27/12 10:54 am - Southern California
Those of you who have had success with your Duodenal Switch weight loss surgery, listen up: 
(...because the Nation's DS Surgeons NEED YOUR HELP!)
Maria Harrison of UCLA Bariatric Dept (formerIy the USC Bariatric Coordinator many of us knew when we got our DS) wrote me:  She just came back from the ASMBS ( American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery) 29th Annual Meeting, held in San Diego June 17-22, 2012 and she spoke with former USC Bariatric surgeon, Dr. Gary Anthone (who now practices in Nebraska). Maria writes:  What's happened is THIS:
Dr. Namir Katkhouda, a Laparoscopic surgeon at USC who's a driving and deliberate advocate of the RNY gastric bypass (& lap band) weight loss procedures wrote and submitted for publication a scientific paper declaring that the DS procedure is "Bad" and that more than half of the patients had to be revised or suffered from malnutrition. (He also put Dr. Peter Crookes name on the paper -but, I don't know if that was WITH his permission or not.)  Dr. Katkhouda has never performed the DS procedure.  (I remember being at a USC Seminar after my DS, about 8 years ago, witnessing and being appalled when he actually told a prospective attendee NOT to get the DS or she'd die.)  At this year's ASMBS meeting all the DS surgeons were very upset and are trying to stop his report from being published. The recommendation was that the DS patients should write a letter validating their DS is having good result ~~ and if they are being compliant.
I wrote back to Maria asking:  Is there a paper or "form" of what information they would like; is there any "official request" or "questionnaire" they have created to get out to ALL DS'ers around the COUNTRY to get THEIR opinion and certification of how well it HAS worked for them? Or is there a website to go to as to what exactly the ASMBS DS surgeons/advocates need, in regards to patient's DS outcome/success?
Maria wrote back:  The DS surgeons will be working hard to make him wrong, but Dr. Gary Anthone will need telephone numbers and emails to collect testimonies.  Once they set up the website for reporting, it will be available.  She writes:  In the meantime, she needs DS patient "contact information" to provide to Dr. Anthone.  Please, email to me: 
[email protected] with the words in the subject:  "DS patient"  your name, contact phone number and email address so you can be sent the information to submit your testimonial. 
So many had fought for the DS - it's changed and saved their lives; let's not let Dr. Katkhouda take the DS away from helping future obese patients!
Sharon Harvey, [email protected]  
DS on 12-5-2003 with Dr. Peter Crookes, USC
(I have maintained a 200 lb. loss)
Here is this year's ASMBS 2012 Annual Meeting website:
http://2012.asmbs.org/
southernlady5464
on 6/27/12 11:15 am
You need to cross post this in the DS forum. This one gets very little traffic.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

bbeyerlein
on 8/30/13 9:52 am - Albuquerque, NM
DS on 11/08/12

My name is Belinda B. and I had a very successful BPD on March 15th, 2013; I will be happy to substantiate with detail, what is asked for, in order to show that this surgery was the best thing I could have done for my obesity!

harvener
on 9/2/13 12:36 pm - Southern California

Hi Belinda.... Whoa:  NOTE:  my post was June of 2012!!!!!!  This request was long, long ago fulfilled and the study reverted - thanks to so many responders.  No need to report about it, now.  Anyway, good for you & your Duodenal Switch in March.... I had mine - will be 10 years ago this Dec. 5 (2003) - happily lost & have maintained a 200 lb. loss.  I really believe only the "super morbidly obese" should be approved for the DS; (not what is referred to as "light-weights") as they tend to lose too much and don't really require such a drastic, invasive and malabsorptive procedure.  Good luck to you!

rachtrex
on 9/5/13 9:20 pm - Pacific Pines, Australia

I HAD DS SURGERY 10 YEARS AGO   AND IT IS  ABSOLUTLY WONDERFUL I HAD A LAPBAND AND IT WAS THE ABSOLUTE PITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  tHE RNY  LEAVES A PERSON WITH  RUNNY BOWEL MOTIONNS FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES I KNOW ALOT OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD THIS TOO.

JazzyOne9254
on 9/9/13 3:16 am

They say the same about "runny bowels" and the DS.   Never knew RNY's had those bathroom issues.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

rachtrex
on 9/9/13 7:09 am - Pacific Pines, Australia

Look you can have these issue but there are a few things  that can help like dont eat too much fat that causes loose bowel motions . also you can become lactose intollerent after ds. The reason  the ds is better is because they have left the pyloric valve in which is very important to you not having the runs and it gets more managaeble after time as your learn to control everything and eat better some days i have to go to the loo 3 times in a row then im ok for the rest of the day.

Most Active