Colon Cancer / Chemo / Bypass Surgery

David G.
on 4/4/07 1:23 pm - Cozumel, Mexico
Hi Friends, I thought my chronic constipation was from my bypass surgery, because it started around the same time.  It wasn't.  Last Friday I discovered I have colon cancer and hopped on the first plane to the US to have 1/2 of my colon removed along with the tumor which was causing the problem. I got out of the hospital today.  I was able to get a fast track surgery and from the time I found about it till my surgery was only 3 days, then 8 days in hospital. Luckily they were able to do the surgery without me having a colostomy bag. Now I am faced with chemotherapy. What do we know about having chemotherapy with a gastric bypass. Do we have a history on that? I couldn't find a way to search the archives.

David G.
 Isla de Cozumel, Q, Roo.México

barrelt
on 4/23/07 5:14 am - Wilmington, DE
Hello David,  I am sorry that no one posted a reply sooner...I just found this forum by accident. It doesn't look like it is very active. I hope that is because they are all healthy and have started a "New " normal life after cancer. Hope this note finds you well. I had RNY in January 2005 and was treated for ovarian cancer in 2007. I did not have any problems with any of my chemo meds. The steroid pills that I had to take the night before my treatments where small. I shouted from the roof tops that I had had gastric bypass and I double checked all my medicines with my GB surgeon.  My chemo therapy regimen was taxol and carboplatin. I did have some other drugs in there as well but I can't remember there names. My red blood count was low so I was given a shot of Aranesp to boost my count.  I had 6 sessions of chemo and my last treatment was October 2007. What chemo drugs will they be giving you? How many treatments will you have?  I am glad they fast tracked you and I wish you well. My thing is make sure you tell everyone and I do mean everyone that you have had gastric bypass surgery.  There are so many different drugs out there that they can use that are gastric bypass friendly. Keep posting and let us know how your treatments are going. Linda Barrett
David G.
on 7/20/07 1:33 pm - Cozumel, Mexico
My treatments are going well..  5FU. Oxaliplantin Avastin A few others. Not any problems related to my gastric bypass so far.

David G.

Lisa J.
on 10/15/07 3:29 pm - North Central, TX

David, I'm glad to hear chemo didn't cause any problems with your gastric bypass.   I was first diagnosed with colon cancer in July 2000, which was before I had WLS.  Last Friday at my annual oncologist visit I was told there is a mass in my liver and a blockage in the nearby urethra.  My tumor markers were also triple of what they should be.  If all the follow up tests indicate it is metastic colon cancer, I will be starting chemo again.  I was worried about how that would work with WLS.  5FU and Avastin would be included in chemo treatments.   I was a little surprised at the news because there was no cancer in the lymph nodes back in 2000, but I was mis-diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome.  When I was finally diagnosed, my colon had already ruptured and seeded onto my left ovary and fallopian tube.  If you still visit this forum, what did you do about protein?  I had no appetite my first time through chemo and had to supplement my diet, but used Boost, which I believe contains sugar.  I'm considering just using regular protein like I did shortly after having WLS. I wish you the best with your cancer experience. Lisa J 

"No matter where you go, there you are."
David G.
on 10/16/07 3:59 pm - Cozumel, Mexico
Hi Lisa, I am still on the chemotherapy.. 6 months now. I am on 5FU, oxaliplatin, and Avastin. Luckily my appetite has been ok. I have maintained my weight throughout the treatments. I am 158 pounds which is my ideal weight for my 5'9" height. I was 258 when I had my WLS in Jun 06. Found my cancer in Mar 07. My CEA is finally dropping.. it was around 168 at the time of my tumor removal and colon resection. and it stayed up in the 100's for a long time till the last month or two it has fallen to 68... and last time 32. I have lymph node involvement, and so far nowhere else. I am a stage IV because the involvement of distant lymph nodes.  I am tolerating the treatments well, and actually feel about normal, maybe just a little weaker than normal.  Keep in touch and all the best to you too. David

David G.

mistywallace
on 10/22/07 3:44 pm - moody, AL
HI DAVID DO YOU HAVE METASTISIS? MY DAD WAS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH STAGE IV RECTAL. THEY THINK IT IS IN HIS LIVER AND LUNGS. HOW DO YOU FEEL? I AM VERY WORRIED. ANY INFO WILL BE SO HELPFUL. THANKS MISTY
A true friend inspires you to believe the best in yourself,to keep pursuing your deepest dreams. Most wonderful of all,she celebrates all your successes as if they were her own!
David G.
on 10/22/07 4:04 pm - Cozumel, Mexico
Hi Misty, I actually feel great,and am considered a stage IV;.my colon cancer has metastisized to my lymph nodes. So far not to any major organs. However when it is in the lymph nodes they say " it is on the superhighway".    I hope your father will respond to whatever the treatment the dr's recommend. I know you are worried; my daughter is worried about me too. Be strong for your father; he would most likely love to have you accompany him throughout his journey of treatments. My daughter takes me to each of my treatments and goes with me to all my Dr visits. Read as much as you can so you will understand what it all means. Thats about the best advice I can give you. There are certainly survivors out there; I plan on being one, and i hope your father will be too. Best personal regards to you and yur father, David

David G.

hallv7z
on 7/24/12 8:20 pm
Hi David,    I was diagnosed October of 2010 with Lymphoma, received chemo without any ill effects different from any other cancer patient.   With the Roux n Y surgery you always have the
vitamin deficiencies and they have to be watched closer during your chemo.  Your WBC/ immune system is very stressed, iron etc.   After my chemo, I not only visit my oncologist every 2 months for labs but also the bypass clinic.   Most people and doctors are totally unaware of
the important part Vitamin D plays in the immune system.   I am curious whether you attend a bariatric clinic regularly and whether they keep your Vitamin D level between 40 and 60.
I'm a nurse and through much investigation was able to provide my oncologists and the gastric bypass surgeons with proof of the cause of my Lymphoma. 
My severe Vitamin D deficiency caused a plunge in my WBC, down to 3.  None of the doctors had any idea.  Three years later I was diagnosed with Lymphoma.  My WBC has increased with
the increase of my Vitamin D not even mentioning the impact on how great I feel.  I am presently working with my oncologist to begin treating Lymphoma pts. with Vit. D during their treatment.
A research study from Mayo Clinic reports Vit. D. administered during Chemo for Lymphoma pts. will double their life expectancy.   Please research Vit. D def.   It has proven to cause, lupus,
colon cancer, lymphoma, fibromyalgia, graves disease, and MS.  MS is one of the few diseases that we see their doctors treat them with huge amounts of Vit. D.  They like their levels at a toxic rate to help subdue symptoms of MS.    Don't get me wrong their are also other reasons for
cancer but my cancer was caused by a low Vit. D. deficiency and immune system.  My WBC levels were comparable to a transplant pt. who is also at a very high risk for cancers.
Hope to hear from you soon and that this information may help you in some way..
Diane
darla47
on 12/6/07 9:08 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 07/30/07 with
Hi David.  I just found out about this forum.  I was diagnosed with colon cancer in May 2006 just before my gastric bypass surgery.  That surgery was postponed so that I could have my right side of my colon and appendix removed.  Out of 40 lymph nodes, the cancer had only spread to one.  I was a stage III.  I did the 6 months of chemotherapy and I was able to have my rny on July 30, 2007.  If you need to talk, please feel free to email me anytime.  I know what you are going through and I know it is not easy.  But know that you are in my prayers and I wish the very best for you.  Keep your head up and know that you are not alone. Darla

Most Active