Seeking someone to help me in finding an option....

crystal_s
on 2/22/11 5:30 am
Hello all,

Six months ago I have an abdomenal turmor removed.  I have had a CT scan and MRI since.  While the Cancer is gone (and I am very thankful for that) my surgeon says that I can't have the Sleeve surgury because there is way too much scar tissue in my abdonmen.  I am devistated to here that! I was so hoping that I would get the you're clear now I can have the surgery that I so desperately want and trulthfully need.  Can anyone help me - are there any other options out there for me?  I am a single mother of four beautiful children and I have over come cancer but I need to be healthy for them!  If this comes back I want to know I am physically healthy enough to put up a good fight!  Please if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!!  It's truly appreciated! 
Hello All,
 I am hoping to get surgery but not sure which route to go Sleeve or by-pass or balloon???  Would you mind sharing your experiences to help educate me so that i can make the right decision.  I am a cancer survivor (35 yrs old) and waiting to here if cancer has spread (thus the reason I am not able to proceed right away with the surgery, I need to lose 120 lbs and would like some information as I have heard some surgeries are better for more weight loss then others.  I have gotten through so much and need to do this for myself and my family.  Thank you so much!
carleneyy
on 2/23/11 12:45 am, edited 3/3/11 1:54 am
Hi there, I would get a second opion, before I would give up hope.  You must have a ton of scar tissue, I have a bunch of scar tissue from being cut half way open due to my cancer problem & I wasen't told I can't have it. I would just ask another Dr.
crystal_s
on 2/23/11 1:14 am
Thank you so much Carleneyy!

I do plan to get a second opinion - my only problem that was my oncolgists opinion but I think it's based on his views rather than actual medical concerns. 

Thank you so much I will keep everyone posted.

Best of luck to you and I sincerely hope you are cancer free!!!
carleneyy
on 2/23/11 3:37 am
Oncologist are great, but this is not his specialty. And if you notice, they are on high alert :) which is good, but when it comes to bareatric surgery let the surgeon decide.  Good luck to you! Stay calm, it will be fine. 
walterswife
on 3/2/11 11:51 pm
Crystal,

I agree with Carlen that you should get a second opinion.  I am sorry that you have had to endure this but I am happy that you have overcome cancer.  I think that you are right to still want to get as healthy as you can.

I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer.  My surgeon said that I was so much healthier than I was last year at this time and therefore a much better candidate for a mastectomy and reconstruction.  I had surgery last Friday and am progressing well.

Stick to your guns and pursue this for the sake of your children, family and friends.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

YankeeRose
on 3/13/11 1:05 pm - Meadville, PA
I also agree that you should get a 2nd opinion. I also am a cancer survivor and was cut right across my stomach just above my belly button. I also have an abdominal hernia. My surgeon examined me and said he could still do my surgery laproscopically. He said he had to have clearance from my oncologist but that he saw no reason i couldn't have the weight loss surgery. He said if the hernia was worse they could do open surgery instead of lap and repair the hernia at the same time so i don't see how they just couldn't do your surgery open instead of lap if you have a lot of scar tissue. Get another opinion. Good luck!

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

crystal_s
on 3/18/11 7:28 am
Thank you so much!  I have decided and my family doc agrees to go ahead with the surgery!  I have to fund it on my own but am so excited and neverous I won't be able to get the money together.  I have til May 27th to figure it all out! I am so sorry to hear about your cancer!  I was cut the opposite direction from below my boobs to my c-section scar.  I have found though that the scar tissue is very bad in that area - worried about losing the weight and having a big bulge from the scar tissue - but to be honest I will face that when I get to it.  I need this surgery to help me get health should I have to face this fight again!  I will you all the best and thank you again for you help!  I truly appreciate it!!
carleneyy
on 3/3/11 2:11 am
Hi Crystal,

I think that the VSG surgery would be a wise choice. With the other surgery's their is a lot of malabsorption, which means less nutrient intake. I know with all surgery you need to take supplements, but with the VSG surgery you have less malabsorption and retain most nutrients. I am on the 6 month required diet now, I have a couple months to go with that & I am going to get the VSG surgery. To me, having the cancer makes me think we need all the nutrition we can get.   
Most Active