Cancer after gastric bypass

Cathy Ann W.
on 7/24/12 12:40 pm - Rohnert Park, CA
Hello...my name is Cathy Ann. I had gastric bypass August 2001. I was over 500 pounds. In November 2008, I was diagnosed with stage 3 kidney cancer. My right kidney was removed. My question is...since I'm only working with one kidney, should I be watching my protein intake? I was told too much protein is not good. I've lost 350 pounds, and my surgeon keeps singing his protein song. I need to get to goal to have lots of excess skin removed. I yoyo between 205 and 220, can't drop below 200...HELP! Thank You for any words of wisdom!
happyteacher
on 9/1/12 1:12 pm
 I would pose that question to your kidney doctor- not just your bariatric surgeon.   

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Cathy Ann W.
on 9/1/12 10:32 pm - Rohnert Park, CA

Hi...They told me the only treatment for Kidney cancer is to remove it if possible and there is no chemo or radiation...I'm on the search for a new Kidney Doctor, I kinda fired my first one...he was no help. Right now the Doctors seen more worried about my vitamin malobsorbtion. They keep upping my units...now the vitamins are a on script.  Thank You for answering me back.
ruth63
on 9/1/12 2:33 pm - aurora, Canada
Hi
I have a question did you have chemo and radiation and how did you do.  So few people to ask that have had our surgery and then have to deal with treatment for cancer.
Anything you can tell me would be so helpful.
Mine is breast cancer and I know each cancer the treatment, chemo is different.
Thanks
All the best to you.
Sorry but I can;t answer the protein intake question but where you had the gastric bypass should be able to tell you what to do.
Cathy Ann W.
on 9/1/12 10:38 pm - Rohnert Park, CA
Hi Ruth...Thank You for answering me...I was told there is no chemo or radiation for Kidney Cancer. They usually remove the kidney and then we pray the other one behaves. As long as I don't have the cancer return..( steming from the kidney ) I will be able to receive chemo or radiation, depending on what kind returns.
Thank You...and all the best to you!
rqd21432
on 3/3/13 2:55 am

Hi Cathy Ann W,

How are you doing? My sister's lifelong friend also had gastric bypass surgery early in 2012. Now in february 2013, she was diagnosed with kidney cancer-stage 4. She is on dialysis, and very sick. I'm just reaching out to you because your experience is similar, although i hope you are doing well. Is there any advice you can give me to help me support her, and improve her quality of life? She is like an older sister to me, so any experience or knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated.  

alicemenezes
on 2/13/13 3:52 pm

Hi Cathy, very sorry for you. Hope you doing well now. I have heard that bariatric weight loss surgery can cause cancer in the long run. Is that true? Anyway in your case I think you should consult both your surgeon and oncologist and make them compare treatments so that one thing doesn't affect the other.

Kelly K.
on 5/8/13 6:40 pm - Conneaut, OH

I had Stage 1B Clear cell renal cell carcinoma diagnosed on 4/12/12 when I started having VERY bloody urine one night at work! I had a tumor the size of a baseball on my right kidney, I had it removed two weeks later, which happened to be my son's 8th birthday! I didn't need any further treatment since my lymph nodes and surgical margins were clear.

My PCP sent me to a nephrologist. He told me that I didn't need to worry about my protein intake. He also put me on a blood pressure medication to help protect the remaining kidney from the increased blood flow. I've been following up with the Urological surgeon every 6 months.  I had an ultrasound in January of my remaining kidney and of the spot where my right kidney used to be and everything was fine. I also recently had a partial thyroidectomy but that wasn't cancerous.  I will see the renal doctor again in July. Was supposed to see him in April but due to my surgery I had to reschedule..

If you haven't seen a kidney doctor, I'd highly recommend it. The urological surgeon didn't seem to have a problem with it. Good luck to you!

RNY 4/20/09

Kidney Cancer Survivor 4/26/12

Partial Thyroidectomy 4/08/13

mamasue_99
on 6/10/13 6:29 pm

Hi Kelly I just read your post I too have Renal cell carcinoma...  I was diagnosed yesterday.. June 10 2013  I will be having surgery in the next 2 weeks...  My tumor or mass is 9.9 cm almost the whole kidney... I was told like you that I would not need chemo or radiation...  I was glad to see your post... I worried about protein levels and how much would be safe for me to take now...  Thank you for posting what you have done and what you are going through...

Makes me feel better knowing that we can live a healthy life with WLS and one kidney... I hope I find out tomorrow or the next day when I will be having surgery... he said within the next 2 weeks. 

What does a Nephrologist do? Again thanks

Susan aka mamasue

ms_dar
on 6/14/13 6:45 pm - Canada

I just had a partial right nephrectomy on Tuesday.   Pathology report not yet back so will find out in a couple of weeks but most likely RCC stage 1.  Last spring I had a left partial nephrectomy  RCC stage 1.  I credit my weight loss surgery with saving my life since at this stage removal of the cancer is the only treatment necessary.  My cancer was discovered when i requested an ultrasound to check out what I assumed was gall stones due to my weight loss.  That ultrasound led to a CT scan which showed the left kidney cancer and a "shadow" on the right.  Lots of changes in my life led to many poor diet choices over this past year and I have regained about 35 pounds..yikes!  Now that both surgeries are completed I need to simply kick myself in the butt and make those good food choices again.  Back to tracking food with Sparkspeople and getting stronger day by day.  I hope you will be doing OK following your surgery which could be any day now.  Good luck and keep positive thoughts.  laugh

Most Active