atypical breast cancer and chemotherpy and gastrobipass surgury

ruth63
on 8/4/12 10:24 pm - aurora, Canada
I am out 5 months from having gastrobipass surgery and have done well 81 lbs. feeling good can eat almost everything in small amounts, and now just found out breast cancer, early stage however as its atypical will need chemo and radiation therapy after surgery. I am in Ontario and we do not have alot of examples of this, even at Princess Margret which is our big cancer hospital in Toronto. I am hoping since U.S. has so many more people that there are some of you out there, sadly like me who have had to go through chemo. I am worried about having cancer but also worried about how gastric bi pass impacts on the chemo drugs doing what they should and also how our new stomach's handle the chemo which is hard on regular stomach's.
Help.
If you know anyone would you please ask them to respond
Thanks so much
iisme
on 8/26/12 7:54 am
Ruth,
I was 1 1/2 years out from RNY when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I am now almost 2 years without incident. Pheeeeew!
I had a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction and I also had to undergo chemo and then herceptin treatments for one year.
It IS doable. I did very well on it. I was treated at the Mayo here in Phoenix and that was one of my concerns was not being able to be properly treated because I had "ruined" myself by having RNY. My Oncologist said, "Nora, you did NOT ruin yourself, if anything you saved yourself by losing weight" He was right, I did great during chemo. I didn't have the bad stomach upset and acid reflux like a lot of people that go through it.
Good luck, please let us know how you are doing

10 pounds loss pre-op
ruth63
on 9/1/12 2:29 pm - aurora, Canada
Thank you so much for responding.  It is really scary when doctors know one thing and not the other.  I was so worried about chemo and my little stomach. I go to have a lumpectomy this Thurs and then have to wait 2 wks. for the results to see if its gone in lump nods.  You didn;t have radiation? I thought everyone does with breast cancer.
So happy to hear you are doing so well two yrs. out.
What a journey you have been on and so nice to speak to someone who has gone through it.
I am 3X negative, only 20% of women get this type of cancer, more aggressive as I read but I am stage 1, small so hopefully hasn;t gone anywhere else. I have always heard that Mayo is the best.
I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
iisme
on 9/17/12 2:57 pm
mine was triple positive. Very aggressive as well and in 2 lymph nodes. I was staged as IIa. Triple negative however is a bit more aggressive than mine. I pray they did not find it in your nodes. Please let me know how you did.
I did not have to have to have radiation. With my cancer they said they got it all out with the surgery and the chemo was my "insurance policy" I am now also on armadex for 5 years and had a total hysterectomy 2 months ago to put me in permanent menopause. The chemo they thought did that but my periods came back with avenges in February.
Yes, I do like the Mayo, I feel as if I am treated very well there.
Good Luck!  Please give me an update, I do care.

10 pounds loss pre-op
crds1948
on 9/28/12 4:53 am - Canada
Hi, just got back my results and not great, in one lymph node. Waiting for an appointment with medical oncologist.  Will be around 4 1/2 months of chemo , then radiation. What a long journey.  Waiting to have bone scan and Cat scan.  Only good thing about Canada don;t have to worry about insurance. However sure would have loved to gone to Mayo, it has the best rep. even in Canada, so you are really lucky, if one can say that about cancer
It is really nice to share and know there is someone out there who understands.  It's hard to think which support group to go to.  I am for sure going to go to my weight group when I hit 100 lbs., just at 91 lbs  now.      The best is I did not go back to food .  At least if I am going to have a shorter life, its going to be a slim life.
Take care
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/13 7:40 pm

Glad that you are recovering after the surgery, feeling sad about the breast cancer, please do not panic.take care of you. it will be fine.

David147
on 6/10/15 3:36 am

Surgery is usually the first line of treatment for breast cancer. 

From your description it sounds like it has now progressed to stage 4 breast cacner. 

It is likely that refusing the surgery when it was offered has led to the progression. 

From what you have described the prognosis her Dr's have given sounds reasonable. 

There is probably little she can do to increase her life expectancy other than following Dr's recommendations. She may choose to refuse treatment and accept the lower life expectancy to avoid treatment side effects. This is her choice to make, just as refusing earlier treatment was her choice.

cspotrun
on 6/10/15 4:54 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Where did she say she refused surgery?  And how do you know what stage she is in unless you are her treating physician?

Geez, if you have trouble empathizing with someone newly diagnosed with cancer, I shudder to think of how you treat the rest of the world.  She isn't to blame for getting cancer and seems to be following the doctor's treatment plan.

OP, I wish you well and hope you sail through treatment.

Karen   

David147
on 7/3/15 3:39 am

Atypical cells are cells that appear abnormal under a microscope, but they aren't necessarily cancerous. The presence of atypical cells is sometimes referred to as "dysplasia." Many factors can make normal cells appear atypical, including inflammation and infection. Even normal aging can make cells appear abnormal.

Atypical cells can change back to normal cells if the underlying cause is removed or resolved. This can happen spontaneously. Or it can be the result of a specific treatment.

Most Active