alternate forms to get Vitamin B12?

StarWish624
on 1/18/13 6:17 pm - Bakersfield, CA

My red and white blood counts are still low after Chemo & Rads. Since my RNY, I have gone for a B12 shot monthly, because the part of the tummy that handled B12 is no longer functioning (divided from pouch). But, sometimes the B12 shots are not available. I was wondering if the B12 tablets that quick melt under the tongue will work in a pinch? Do these type of tablets melt under the tongue, and go right into the blood stream?  If it goes to the pouch, it won't help (as I am led to believe - hence I don't bother just taking a B12 regular vitamin. Anyone know? The quick melts are expensive, and the B12 shots are free (covered by insurance).

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/28/13 3:32 am, edited 2/28/13 3:33 am

I give myself B12 shots. I get doc prescription for B12 shots - one a week. After all copy - that ends up costing me only $1-2 per shot.  But sometimes - when that is not available or my script runs out and I need to wait to see a doc to have it renewed -  I go on line and get B12 injectable. Recently I got them from http://www.trimnutrition.com/b12-injections.html

The 30ml (30 dosages - each 1250mcg B12, or 40 dosages each 1000mcg)  cost me app $40 - but that included the B12, and all supplies - syringes with needles, alcohol pads and shipping. That is like 40 dosages of 0.8cc=1000 mcg B12, $1 each.  That's more than 9 months worth of the B12 shots.

The sublingual B12 may work - but they did not work for me. Only shots make my B12 finally normal in high range.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/13 10:16 pm

no, i guess you must not  leave the medication in between.

Allisoninjax
on 9/18/13 12:42 am - FL

Hello,

I know you posted this back in January.  I am just know coming to this board and saw your post.  I have a problem with B-12 due to my RNY.  My doctors' have put me on Nascobal.  It is a spray that I take once a week.  It is expensive but you can go on line and get a coupon so that brings the cost down to about $25.00 for a months supply.  It has worked for me and my last blood test showed my B12 good.  Of course I don't know how chemo would affect everything.  The quick melt tabs never worked for me and I ate them like candy several times a day.  Good luck and I hope you have found something and no longer need this information.  This is just in case. 

Ali

David147
on 6/10/15 3:23 am

Vitamin B12 is needed for normal nerve cell activity, DNA replication, and production of the mood-affecting substance called S-adenosyl-L-methionine. 

Vitamin B12 works with frolic acid to control homocysteine levels. An excess of **** cysteine, which is an amino acid (protein building block), may increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, and perhaps osteoporosis and Alzheimer’s disease.

Most Active