Thyroid Cancer Post Op...anyone?

shoven21187
on 9/5/13 2:45 am - Saint Paul, MN

I am about 2 1/2 yrs post op RNY and last November I found out I had thyroid cancer. One year out my levels are finally stable and normal- or normal for a post thyroid cancer patient. I am really struggling with all the weight I have gained through this experience and still seems to have no metabolism. I am really struggling with the side effects of having to stay hyperthyroid such as I am hungry ALL THE TIME and ansy but so tired and worn out most of the time. I am still gaining slowly and not losing anything because of all this. 

It seems like not many people on this site have experience with this- but does anyone know of a group or anything where people do?

Happy Me
on 9/25/13 8:12 am

I feel ya, I'm almost 10 years post RNY and getting close to 2 years post thyroid cancer. I have gained 30 lbs after having NO problems at all with my wt previously. I feel like crap all the time because of the meds, can't concentrate, sleep, no stamina. My goal TSH is "0". I tell myself the alternative is 6 ft under and try to count my blessings. Mine was follicular and papillary stage 3, yours? Good luck and hang in there!

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/13 7:04 am - Fair Oaks, CA

How are you doing now?

shoven21187
on 10/16/13 7:50 am - Saint Paul, MN
I am doing a lot better now!! Turns out the rny ended up making me very hypoglycemic! I cut most carbs back out of my diet and now everything is leveling out and I've started losing all the weight I gained!

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/13 8:02 am - Fair Oaks, CA

Great to hear things are balancing out!!! :)

carlak
on 10/23/13 7:35 pm - Bradenton, FL

I had thyroid cancer in 08. I was six years put fom RNY. I to gained 30 pounds from the medication. Inhave sunce taken it off once I got regulated. I was stage one papilary. 

I now have no imune system. I have low cortisol level and will be on prednisone the rest of my life. The I131 treatment killed my imune system. I am tired all the time, my blood pressure is way low, Sometimes All I want to do is eat!!!!!! But I dont cause ill be in way big trouble if I do!!!!!

Carla

image hosting site

rainyone
on 10/24/13 2:16 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
I had thyroid ca in 2006 and now again in 2013. Just had a modified neck dissection to remove lymph nodes that were positive for papillary cancer. I had a couple little nodules that grew back from my thyroidectomy in 2006. I'm really stressed about radioactive iodine and if I have to stop taking my synthroid. I am wiped out now from the surgery I can't imagine if my levels go up

I had the sleeve in 2012

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Most Active