Chemotherapy and weight gain

capowers
on 5/6/15 7:33 am - PA

I was recently diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer and have had one round (of 16) of chemotherapy.  In the past 3 weeks I have put on 10 pounds (and my diet has not changed; and I use Leslie Sansone Walking tapes daily and walk everyday at lunch).  The only time I did not exercise was the first 3 days after my chemo as I was exhausted.  Anyone have this happen or have any suggestions...I am more afraid of gaining the weight than I am of battling the cancer (which I know I will do and will win).  Tx.

David147
on 5/20/15 10:37 pm

There are a lot of different types of chemo, and they all affect the body in different ways. Chemo in and of itself is not a diet. The side effects from chemo typically end up causing people to eat less, hence the weight loss. If those side effects were not an issue for you, and you upped you caloric intake because you were afraid you would lose weight, then it would be easy to see you gaining weight. 

sydneyluv
on 6/4/15 11:39 pm

Hi! Sorry this is a late reply but I hope this helps.  I am a fellow triple negative breast cancer survivor!  I had RNY on May 7th of 2012 and was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer on March 21st of 2013.  I had 12 sessions of Taxol chemo and 4 sessions of AC chemo.  My guess is that your weight gain is probably related to the steroids they most likely give you with each chemo infusion.  I was told that prior to each infusion, they give Benadryl and steroids to help the body better tolerate the chemo and to reduce nausea. A major side effect of steroids is weight gain.  I hated the steroids and how manic they made me in the 24 hrs. following infusion.  My oncologist did inform me that they can reduce amount of steroids if necessary.  You should definitely discuss with oncologist to see if you can make some changes to your regimen.

capowers
on 6/11/15 1:01 pm - PA

Thanks sydneyluv, I will definitely do that...they also put me on a water pill as I was retaining fluids.

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/15 12:11 am - Pompano Beach, FL
Well probably the weight gain is due to steroids used.
Pd2006
on 6/24/15 8:34 am

I gained weight also. ER+pr+. With Breast cancer most do gain weight and it's not from eating too much. 

Stress, chemicals and steroids all play a part and mess with your metabolism. Try your best to eat clean protein to maintain muscle mass and lots of vegetables / 1-2 fruits for nutrition. I lacked the knowledge going into it and lost a great deal of muscle. 

Workingwoman
on 2/28/16 12:48 pm
RNY on 02/11/16

Weight gain during and after chemo is not unusual, particularly for breast cancer, and particularly for triple negative breast cancer.  I gained 16 pounds during chemo for Stage 3B breast cancer, most of that in the first two months, and another 11 pounds in the first three years after chemo. The gain is partly due to the retention of fluids during chemo, but also due to the really great anti-nausea drugs they give you.  If you can keep up the exercise that is great.  Do not give yourself too hard a time if you can't. Each chemo is cumulative in impact, and you will be a lot more tired as you go through the process.  When you are finished with chemo and recovery from chemo---which itself takes time, turn yourself over to a really great bariatric doctor and work on the weight later.  Right now, survive and thrive!  The extra pounds can be licked far more easily than a recurrence of cancer; your focus now must be to keep up your numbers on the blood work so you get a full measure of what you need at each chemo appointment.

RBMATHIS
on 3/23/16 5:50 am

In  June 2010 I had gastric by pass surgery. Did very well with my surgery, when the Dr. came out and told my family how well I had did, he did say her spleen was enlarged, but this is not uncommon for obsess patients.  In February of 2011, I was diagnosed  with Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma, Stage 4 cancer. I had to have a splenectomy (2/2011), the cancer was in my spleen and bone marrow.  I took 6 months of chemo, regimen called "Chop" and I had no weight gain. Also one of my cancer drugs was prednisone, which cause some to gain weight.   I walked every day that I was able too. The day of and after my chemo I was so tried.   I wasn't able to eat that well, that may could have caused be not to gain, unsure!

As of Feb. 2016 It has been 5 years and with the good help of the lord I am cancer free. For my weight, so far so good. I guess I could stand to lose about 10 pounds. I started out at 289  (I am 5'4) and today I weigh 167.

lking
on 4/4/16 7:20 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I had my RNY on 12/4/15, on 2/29/16 I received a confirmed diagnosis of ER/PR-, HER2+ Invasive Ductal Carcinoma of the right breast with metastasis of the armpit lymph nodes.  My oncologist said I may have a slight weight gain from the steroids I will be given with each chemo treatment.  My bariatric center said not to worry about any weight gain as my first objective is to be rid of my cancer, weight loss will be handled again once I am well.

So far I have only had 1 treatment, my 2nd is Thurs of this week.  I gained 2 lbs, but that was fluid retention.  I lost the 2 lbs within a few days.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Most Active