Recent Posts

FatReva
on 1/30/12 7:37 am - NJ
VSG on 03/27/12
Topic: RE: My cat needs a gastric bypass himself- in NJ
I found it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-SlimCat-Food-Distributor-Ball/dp/B0018CG40O

I googled for "cat foraging feeder ball" and quite a few options popped up.

Good luck with that cat! eek... I hope to head off my fattie's problem before we get to that level!

Reva

sandynhercats
on 1/30/12 7:28 am - Frenchtown, NJ
Where did you find these balls? I found 1 cardboard thingy, but it won't hold up with my terror cat! I weighed him a few days ago. It's a nightmare. 30 lbs! I have everyone up my behind expecting me to do something. What can I do with 7 cats? REALLY!? I think part is food insecurity like you but there is ALWAYS food down. It might be metabolic too. He was almost dead when he got to me. He's so heavy he can't groom himself. If I bathe him I have to go thru hell. I had NO IDEA cat bites were so bad. I got cellulitus in my hand which is very dangerous due to the bite I got with his last bath. Now there will be no full immersion.
FatReva
on 1/27/12 1:07 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/27/12
I have four cats; the oldest of them is just about 4 years old, the youngest isn't a year old yet. My two middle boys are brothers and one of them is... huge. He's easily 17 or 18 pounds while his genetic brother is maybe 14 pounds. The porky one, Pumbaa, seems to have food insecurity - if the bowl is empty, he comes to me and whines about it.

Since I have four, I can't manage their food intake by feeding at set times and not leaving food out. I've decided to try out "foraging feeder balls" - basically a ball that, when pushed and pawed around, drops food. It'll force the cats to be more active about getting their food. For my 'skinny' cats (the youngest and the oldest cats), this will be a cakewalk: those two already 'hunt' for food and will push a treats ball around to get treats. Pumbaa's brother, Timon, will likely catch on to the concept quickly.

Once the feeder balls arrive, I'll take up all of their food and just keep the balls filled with their normal food.

With seven cats in the household? hmm... it could work, as long as you keep an eye on everyone to make sure they're all getting food.

sandynhercats
on 3/4/10 11:01 am - Frenchtown, NJ
Topic: My cat needs a gastric bypass himself- in NJ
It sounds almost too weird to be true, but my cat Gizmo's weight is astounding. He is 3 times the weight of any other cat I have and I don't know what 2 do. If he needs special care or expensive medication I'm just not able to deal with it. I have 7 other cats and Science Diet cat food down at all times. I nicknamed him "Gizzy Gourmet" when he was a kitten. I had to dropper feed him. He was abandoned along with his brother at 3 weeks of age by his mother. I'm disabled and on Medicare (not Medicaid). I'm not able to seperate him from the other cats to limit his food intake. Any ideas (outside of changing to a lite formula-I did)
Sommer
on 5/6/08 10:03 am - Charlotte, NC
Topic: Yipee!
A cats message board? I am in heaven and no clue how I stumbled across this!!
applekid
on 7/15/07 2:10 pm - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Canada
Topic: OUCH! Lesbians and Obesity
NY Post "April 28, 2007 -- Lesbians are twice as likely as heterosexual women to be overweight or obese, researchers said. The report, in the American Journal of Public Health, is one of the first large studies to look at obesity in lesbians. Ulrike Boehmer of the Boston University School of Public Health and colleagues looked at a 2002 national survey of almost 6,000 women, and found lesbians were 2.69 times more likely to be overweight and 2.47 times more likely to be obese. "Lesbians have more than twice the odds of [being] overweight," the authors wrote. This would put them at a higher risk for diabetes and heart disease, among other ailments. "Our findings indicate that lesbian sexual identity is linked to a greater prevalence of overweight and obesity," the authors wrote in the study, released this week. " http://www.nypost.: com/php/pfriendly/print.php?url=http://www.nypost.com/seven/04282007/news/nation\ alnews/plumping_out__lesbians_face_higher_obesity_risk_nationalnews_.htm *** Diane Bruessow, RPA-C Director Long Island Lesbian Cancer Initiative Education, Advocacy, Research & Services E: dbruessow@... M: LILCI 471 North Broadway #123 Jericho, NY 11753 W: www.lilci.org P: 1.888.LILCI.NY F: 1.952.487.0991 Best Womens Organization 2006, Outlook Long Island Magazine Readers Poll Best Health Organization 2005, Outlook Long Island Magazine Readers Poll The Long Island Lesbian Cancer Initiative (LILCI) is a grassroots, social justice, nonprofit agency dedicated to health and wellness with emphasis on cancer. LILCI's purpose is to eliminate health disparities through education, advocacy, research and services. LILCI has worked to positively impact issues surrounding health and wellness in our communities since 2000.
Mary K.
on 7/5/07 11:00 pm - worthington, OH
Topic: Hi!
I just discovered a forum for cat people! I have three big boys, all short haired and handsome. One of my guys has all of a sudden started spraying...he's never don't this before. He's neutered, has his own litter box, the vet checked him out and he is ok... anyone had this problem, and found a good solution? Thanks! Mary
goldroses
on 9/5/06 7:58 am - S. Weymouth, MA
Topic: Persian Parent in Mass
Are there any other Persian Parents in Mass? I have a beautiful black smoke persian named Cuddles who is the absolute joy of my life. Aren't our persians wonderful
seasidemarilyn
on 7/9/06 2:36 pm - Everett, WA
Topic: RE: PET STROLLER - My new exercise buddy! ;-)
I have the same stroller for my little Misty. As I walk with her , I could sell millions! People love to see her in it I live on the Oregon Coast and she does not like the wind - but likes seeing the Birds! You can see a picture of her on my profile. Seasidemarilyn
Most Active
Recent Topics
Yipee!
Sommer · 0 replies · 495 views
OUCH! Lesbians and Obesity
applekid · 0 replies · 1244 views
Hi!
Mary K. · 0 replies · 461 views
Persian Parent in Mass
goldroses · 0 replies · 544 views