Anyone had food get into their afferent limb?

MistyLynn81
on 8/23/08 9:45 pm - LaGrange, KY
Just curious? I'm having surgery Tuesday to section off my Afferent limb.

After eating I get extremely bloated and nauseated and some pain. Sometimes the pain episodes are very very very bad and during the worst ones I can't pass gas. I can't sit up, can't lay down, can't straighten up but can't double completely over. It's weird. Anyways my surgeon thinks food is getting in there and causing my problems and shes going to explore as well to check around, so I'm just curious if anyones had this?
Juldon
on 8/27/08 11:19 pm - Grand Haven, MI
Yes, I have been dealing with this for a long time.  I have had a drainage tube in my remnant stomach since March.  Excess bile and some food stuff builds up in my remnant and there is lots of pain involved.  I am going to have another surgery in October to redo the 'Y' connection.  That is where they think I am intermittently kinking up.

I understand your pain and frustration.

Julie

MistyLynn81
on 8/27/08 11:26 pm - LaGrange, KY
Thanks for letting me know I'm not a total freak with this issue.

My surgery was Tuesday and I feel horrible still. :( The pain is worse than my RNY
Juldon
on 8/27/08 11:33 pm - Grand Haven, MI
No, you are not a total freak, but it is a rare complication.

I had surgery on July 7 to have this corrected.  But when they got in there, they found that at some point I had a perforated ulcer and my pouch and remnant had grown together causing a fistula.  So that had to be fixed first and he didn't dare do the repair of the other at that time.

I am waiting to fully heal from that and then have the 'y' connection redone sometime in October.

It hasn't been a great last 6 months carting this J tube around in my stomach.

I feel for ya.

Julie

MistyLynn81
on 8/27/08 11:42 pm - LaGrange, KY
Believe me when I say I know how you feel.
I had a PICC line with TPN the first 8.5 weeks and then a G-tube for almost 8 months and if my nut had her way I would still have that thing.
Butterfly Reborn
on 9/1/08 5:58 am

I had food in my "old stomach" after a full bowel obstruction.  That was a close call with death.

I've had more than my share of complications.  I have to have another surgery for a huge hernia and I believe that I have another partial bowel obstruction.  *sigh*

When is your exploratory surgery?

I have two sides to my brain - a right side and a left side.  The trouble is sometimes there is nothing left in the right side and nothing right in the left side.
Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

MistyLynn81
on 9/1/08 6:45 am - LaGrange, KY
My surgery was last Tuesday. So it's been 6 days. I'm still having horrible pain from it. :|
Butterfly Reborn
on 9/1/08 7:11 am

What did they find and what did they do?

I have two sides to my brain - a right side and a left side.  The trouble is sometimes there is nothing left in the right side and nothing right in the left side.
Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

MistyLynn81
on 9/1/08 7:55 am - LaGrange, KY
They sectioned off the afferent limb so that food could no longer get in there and had a lot of adhesions to clean up.
Butterfly Reborn
on 9/1/08 8:02 am
Wow   that is a major surgery!  Of course you are still hurting from that!

If your pain medications are not sufficient, please contact your surgeon for affective pain management! 

Please keep us posted on how you are doing!  I will pray for you!

I have to have another surgery and I'm afraid I can't wait much longer as the pain is getting out of control!  :-(   I feel for you!

Julie has been through a lot too!  :-(

Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

Most Active