HELP!! Anyone like me? 20 months post op!

Duece1966
on 10/16/08 12:42 am, edited 10/16/08 12:42 am - IA
I've had 3 near fainting spells.... I wake up every morning nauseated... I've been having more headaches.  My heart races from time to time.  I've checked my blood sugar a couple times and its been low and then one time it was high. I've NEVER been diabetic.

Am I eating wrong? My habits haven't changed since I've done this. I've maintained my wt. give or take 5lbs for 10months now.

Now BEFORE you tell me to have my labs checked... I HAVE. They are PERFECT!!!

I have been diagnosed with a penetrating ulcer, back in July.

Anyone else with these symptom's?

I take a prenatal vitamin, try and get my calcium in everyday, and take B12 once a week. The only  thing I don't do is get all my water in. I've never been a big drinker.

Like to hear comments!

Your going to think I'm dumb, cause I work in nursing, but when you hear the doctor say over and over, we can't find anything wrong, and your feeling like your going to pass out, you know different.

Thanks all!
Stacey

LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE

MOST OF ALL BE HAPPY!!!

Butterfly Reborn
on 10/17/08 3:11 am

Sounds more like ANEMIA than anything to me.  You could have significant blood loss from an ulcer and it could become fatal if you enter into shock.

This is NOT something to play around with at all.  

There is NO SUCH THING as "perfect labs!"  NO SUCH THING!

As specifically about your H&H, your Ferritin level, and iron saturation.  You could have low blood and/or iron because you are having internal bleeding from the ulcer.

I hope you look into this and find your answers ASAP!  Please move on this and become more proactive!

I hope you are 100 percent very soon!

I have two sides to my brain - a right side and a left side.  The trouble is sometimes there is nothing left in the right side and nothing right in the left side.
Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

tkrahn
on 10/22/08 1:00 am - SCHERTZ, TX
I am 2 years PO and I have been having similar symptoms. I know the low blood sugar can cause you to wake up with headaches, can make your extrimaties numb and tingle, I have to keep a close eye on my blood sugar, it mainly happens when I dont eat enough proteins and complex carbs. My heart too will race. When you checked your blood sugar and it was high, had you just eaten?
lorriessparehands
on 10/23/08 12:14 pm - Laguna Beach, CA
Hi, I'm just over 4 years post-op and have severe post-prandial hypoglycemia (after eating).  I've seen 8 Endocrinologists have had a zillion labs (all of which come back Perfect), we've tried Acarbose to slow the carbs from absorbing, had nuclear scans, MRI's, Upper GI's, none of which have explained the problem.  I was getting warning and I'm lucky that I have a service dog that could alert when my sugar was falling.  However, I have now been bottoming out without warning and falling a great deal, due to this I am no longer allowed to drive. 

The symptoms I experience when my sugar is falling are as follows: lightheaded, confused, headache, shaking/trembling, confusion, and disorientation.

I have researched until I thought my eyes would bleed, I have a whole packet I give to each new Doctor listing all the test results including labs, previous Doctor's contact info, a timeline of symptoms starting at the surgery date, copies of the abstracts regarding the limited number of research that has been done and a letter begging for help.

I wish you the best of luck and sadly the only advice I have is that you stay persistant, don't accept "I don't know what's causing this" as an acceptable answer, and continue to post because I truly believe the only way some of us will ever get help is through networking between ourselves.  Lorrie
Mario.Meunier
on 12/2/08 12:06 pm - Canada
On October 23, 2008 at 7:14 PM Pacific Time, lorriessparehands wrote:
Hi, I'm just over 4 years post-op and have severe post-prandial hypoglycemia (after eating).  I've seen 8 Endocrinologists have had a zillion labs (all of which come back Perfect), we've tried Acarbose to slow the carbs from absorbing, had nuclear scans, MRI's, Upper GI's, none of which have explained the problem.  I was getting warning and I'm lucky that I have a service dog that could alert when my sugar was falling.  However, I have now been bottoming out without warning and falling a great deal, due to this I am no longer allowed to drive. 

The symptoms I experience when my sugar is falling are as follows: lightheaded, confused, headache, shaking/trembling, confusion, and disorientation.

I have researched until I thought my eyes would bleed, I have a whole packet I give to each new Doctor listing all the test results including labs, previous Doctor's contact info, a timeline of symptoms starting at the surgery date, copies of the abstracts regarding the limited number of research that has been done and a letter begging for help.

I wish you the best of luck and sadly the only advice I have is that you stay persistant, don't accept "I don't know what's causing this" as an acceptable answer, and continue to post because I truly believe the only way some of us will ever get help is through networking between ourselves.  Lorrie
take a look on that publication.

make research about nesidioblastosis after RYGB

www.mayoclinic.org/mcitems/mc5800-mc5899/mc5810-0607.pdf

GOOD luck,
Mario Meunier
St-Arsène, QC, Canada
Cell.: (418) 863-3948
Phone: (418)863-8014

lorriessparehands
on 12/2/08 3:42 pm - Laguna Beach, CA
Hey Mario, thanks for the heads up.  Hopefully I will start getting some answers from my Doctor's, at least we are finally going to do the Calcium Stimulation test and he would like to put me in patient to test me during an episode.  I was giving up so this could not have come at a better time.
Lorrie
Mario.Meunier
on 12/2/08 9:22 pm - Canada
give me back new'S from your test..

and how he will test you during episod?

what he will do as test ?

the GLP-1 CONCENTRATION ?
the INSULINE LEVEL ? when you are in hypoglycemia ?

a for my part they give it to me 2 can of ensure... that I had to drink in 15 min and be a sleep for 2 hours and he was taking test each 15 min

hypo each time...

good luck
Mario Meunier
St-Arsène, QC, Canada
Cell.: (418) 863-3948
Phone: (418)863-8014

lorriessparehands
on 12/2/08 11:10 pm - Laguna Beach, CA

Can only dream about getting the GLP-1 test since there are not any labs in my state that will run this test!!

My Doctor had them attach a copy of one of the studies asking that they follow the protocol in the article when doing the Arterial Calcium Stimulation test.  Sorry, but I'm not sure which study he was referring to.  I will find out and update the post.

I do know that what they are looking for is to see if my Insulin level increases significantly when my glucose level drops or if stays the same.

Hypo each time doesn't sound fun but at this point, if it would help them get this under control so I could go back to work, I would do it for hours!

Take Care,  Lorrie

Most Active