Reversal Questions

KCooper22
on 2/18/09 9:05 am - Manchester, MD
For those of you that have had a reversal of an RNY gastric bypass surgery, how is life post-op?What complications and or risks were you told may happen with the reversal surgery?  Any information is greatly appreciated.
Butterfly Reborn
on 2/18/09 2:57 pm

Hello!  I have a myraid of complications and "reversal" has been mentioned for me to consider.  I am over 4 years out.

You are only 7 months out.  What complications are you having that a reversal would be considered?

I have two sides to my brain - a right side and a left side.  The trouble is sometimes there is nothing left in the right side and nothing right in the left side.
Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

jbird1972
on 2/18/09 7:25 pm - Cary, IL
Please check out my page to see my journey so far, I am actually in the hospital again right now. I did have mine reversed, but after a long bout of illness and a heavy heart, I am also wondering what type of issues you are having that have you considering reversal. It has been a long haul, and it is still not over for me. 

Jules RNY 10/30/2007

lilchickad
on 2/19/09 1:28 am - Bonney Lake, WA
 Jules,

What happened?  Why are you back in the hospital girl?  I am so sorry you are having so many problems...I will continue to pray for you!

Things with me are going okay.  I have weighed 91 pounds 2 ounces for the last 4 days, so I think it is a true gain of 1 pound.  I still am not able to eat much and am having lots of pain.  The pain is the hard thing to deal with because I'm afraid that my docs will think I am just drug seeking, so I am trying to cut back as much on the pain meds as I can, but I also don't think it is fair that I have to go around hurting all th time.  I thought that once they cleaned out all the adhesions that my pain would go away.  Boy was I wrong.  I am wondering how quickly adhesions grow back, and if you have them cleaned out if they grow back even more so?  Do you know the answer to that?

Take care and please keep me posted on your progress!

Laura
jbird1972
on 2/19/09 1:54 am - Cary, IL
Laura,
Congrats on the pound, and I mean it, it is so weird to be going in a different direction, and I am glad to hear that you are going up :)
I think everytime we have surgery, the adhesions start all over again, viscious circle, I have the same problem, must be an over-healer.  I will update my blog today, but in a nutshell I am back in the hospital because I came in Tuesday for the ERCP (therapeutic cutting of the Sphincter of Oddi to try and solve my nausea/pain issues), and a small number of people can develop pancreatitis afterwards, and of course that had to be me!  So, I am stuck here until they feel like the pain is under control, and until I can eat/drink, and they may be replacing my PICC while I am here since it has this pump constantly beeping.  I understand about the pain medicine issues too, I am constantly paranoid about taking it, but if you need it, you should take it, no one deserves to suffer. I will keep checking on your progress and praying for more weight to come back and for you to feel better, I hope they find the source of that pain also, very frustrating for you.

Jules RNY 10/30/2007

taff
on 2/26/09 2:59 pm - cincinnati, OH
Hi I did not have the RNY but did have the BPD and had to reverse my surgery this Janurary. I was told that becuase I was not underweight that I would gain some of my weight back and it would defently take more work on my part to loose weight. I have had alot of complications with my surgery. Mostly just not absorbing any thing my vits. and supplements so I got to the point of almost dieing. I have gained a little weight back since January, but it is because I am holding a lot of water in and they will not put me back on BP meds as my BP is really low now. So I was told to walk more and move more and was put on ted hose. Hopefully this will work. Please keep me posted if you do decied to have your surgery reversed I would love to know how you are doing. Taffy
Kim Braman
on 3/21/09 3:46 am
Hi,  My name is Kim and I had surgery Oct. 8, 2008.  Have had lots of complications since then.  Many bouts to the hospital, 7 dilation's, 2 ulcers, TPN and 1 revision.  Have not been able to eat, so hungry. Have a new Dr, who feels he can help.  Have a new dilation and scope scheduled for April 6th.  Does it get better or do I have a long journey ahead of me?  . I know each case is different but looking for some hope.  Have lost 80lbs and only have 20lbs to go.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kim
Most Active