Hypoglycemia/Low blood sugars-sorry Long

Shasta L.
on 5/16/09 7:07 am - CO
I am 1 year, and five months out from RNY Gastric Bypass,and have been experiencing hypoglycemia for about 3 months now. I am religious about checking my blood sugar,a and so I know that my symptoms(confusion, irritability, pounding heart, sweating, shakiness) Usually appear when my blood sugars drop into the 60's. In fact I have gotten good at identifying the symptoms, and can sometimes catch them when My sugars are just in the low 70's. However this past week I have had a couple of really scary episodes. A couple of times my sugars dropped into the 50's (55 and 58) before this they have never been below 64. One of these episodes especially concerned me because it took massive amount of carbs before my blood sugars rose to normal.  Then two nights ago I ate  carb loaded snack (I emphasis here that it was loaded with carbs, not sugar) and then went to bed. When I woke up I had the worst symptoms I have ever experienced. I almost blacked out twice trying to get to the kitchen. My BS was 45. I was barely able to grab something to eat (in fact tried to drink some juice  but couldn't hold it). I did down some yogurt,a and then collapsed into bed,a and promptly fell asleep.

At this point I am very concerned. I have not yet been to a doctor about this, as I didn't think they could do anything but prescribe dietary changes. I have been making changes to my diet myself. No grain products, no dairy products. basically just proteins, veggies, and Low GI fruits. Also started to eat six meals per day.

I am just wondering from those who have experienced this..

Do you think I need to see a doctor regarding this, or are they going to just tell me to make dietary changes?

In your experience did your episodes become worse as time went on?

Have you ever not had symptoms go away form eating something?
And any other info you can give me would be appreciated.

Thank You.

Butterfly Reborn
on 5/22/09 1:29 am

You should visit with your doctor to get a real diagnosis.  We shouldn't be guessing about what we're experiencing and how to correct it.  What if it's something else?

That said, for me, after a diagnosis, the best way to handle it is to PREVENT it.  Eating every 2-3 hours keeps the crashing at bay.  I keep peanut butter crackers around -- at home, in my night table, in my purse, in the car, etc., places where I can grab a packet and get relief!  That way, if you feel something coming on, you can thwart it.  Again, the best is to prevent it.

Talk with your doctor(s).

I have two sides to my brain - a right side and a left side.  The trouble is sometimes there is nothing left in the right side and nothing right in the left side.
Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

Most Active