Adhesions Causing Pain on both sides of Abdomen??

maureen3602
on 5/28/09 12:01 pm
Hi,

I'm new here!  I had RNY in August 08.  I've lost close to 90 lbs.  In late Feb 09 (6 months post-op) I started to get pain mostly in the lower left quadrant.  I have undergone 2 lysis of adhesion surgeries (one in April, one in May) and continue to have SEVERE pain in my abdomen.  It is lower left, upper and lower right.  My surgeon wants to do a 3rd surgery, but what else can he find that he didn't the first 2 times?  My surgeon is renowned in his field, so I feel like a crazy person that he hasn't fixed my pain.

They are going to take out the gallbladder, although there is no proof that there is anything wrong with it.  Also, the surgeon is dismissive of the lower left pain (thinks that it is ovarian in nature and therefore, not his issue). 

Any guidance, advice is welcomed and much appreciated!

Thanks,

Maureen
Butterfly Reborn
on 5/31/09 12:03 pm

Many things can go "wrong" and even after recently having surgery.

Surgery isn't something one should rush ino; however, It may finally repair whatever it is going forward.

I'm to trying to promote or convince you to have more surgery; however, it is easier on the body, pain will decrease, and I'd think the last thing you'd want to is to have some kind of "episode" the causes chaoc and you are rushed to a hospital by ambulance. It's happens.

Get a second opinion and/or meet with surgeon again to disccuss all of your possibilities.

I hope you better soon!!!!

I have two sides to my brain - a right side and a left side.  The trouble is sometimes there is nothing left in the right side and nothing right in the left side.
Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/09 4:12 pm - San Diego, CA
Hi Butterfly,

Can you kindly send me a friend request so I can PM you about a problem I am having?  Thanks I appreciate it. :)

-Lisa
jbird1972
on 6/2/09 1:52 am - Cary, IL
Maureen,
I have had 5 additional surgeries since my RNY 10/30/07, and even if the surgeries were not specifically meant to tackle adhesions, they have lysed adhesions every single time.  I just had my last surgery 4/28/09, and I felt great for about 3-4 weeks afterwards, the "permanent" abdominal pain that I had for a year was finally gone, I was eating better, less nausea, and then on Memorial Day it started all over again.  I don't really have the answer, because I am still struggling myself, but trust your surgeon (mine is great!), and if you don't, then seek out someone who will listen to you and what your body is telling you.
Take care

Jules RNY 10/30/2007

Most Active