reverse gastric bypass

justonelady74
on 4/2/11 9:48 am - TX
HI there and welcome to the group! I really need to get to the forum more often.Its been awhile. Its been about 5 and a half years since I had my gastric bypass surgery and I didn't start having issues for almost a year after the surgery. I can definitely relate to what your going through. I'd like to tell you though that from personal experience, the first month or 2 are the hardest. I was in so much pain & it really took some time getting used to not being able to eat like I had prior to the surgery,really. So needless to say to overeat even a little bit can definitly make you nausous to the point where you feel horrible and probably literally green too. Its a miserable feeling so in my case I really stuck to the liquid diet, got a prescription for nasua (&) and went through about 2 bottles of mylanta a week on top of that. It was not a fun time. I have to tell you but if I were you I'd definitely give it some time because everything eventually fell into place for me even with my problems. I still didnt go through nearly as much as some of these womens issues to avoid the reversal for whatever reasons. I guess everyone has their bottom in what they can handle. Mine was the hernias I kept having.
                     I wasnt so much worried about regaining any of the weight as I really learned alot in the nutrition classes I took but I was so miserable and sick I didnt care anymore. I WELCOMED the reversal. Sure, I was worried but it didnt match that feeling that death was starting to knock on my door every other month. I wish you luck and keep in touch regarding your situation.  
Mytimetolive
on 4/2/11 1:36 pm
Thank you very much for your response.  I will definately hang on in there.  I wanted to ask you if you had any complications from the reversal?  Also, do you if you knew how the procedure is completed and were the doctor's were able to restore the complete function of everything?  I just wanted to ask because there is not a lot of information online about the whole procedure.

Thank you again for your response.  It's greatly appreciated.
justonelady74
on 4/4/11 8:36 am - TX
Actually I did have but 1 complication after my reversal however we (dr & I ) couldnt rule it out it being something like my pants being on tight or sitting hunched over for a long time. About a week after my reversal I started getting a lump around my belly button that garadually just got bigger. I called my dr & he told me to go the er & after considering possibilities he did surgery that afteronoon which ultimately was found to be a large hematoma. Other then that Ive been fine healthwise. I feel great! Ive gained about 10 pounds & feel better then ever! No more malnutrtion, heartburn, ulcers or anything. Im glad I had it. Im not worried in the least bit about gaining any weight back because it seemed like the worst chore to be thin and my health was getting to be worse then it was BEFORE my bypass! 
             Regarding the procedure of the reversal, I was very concerned about any risks involved as I mentioned to my dr. He told me that it basically the same concept of the first go around meaning that it was just the procedure in reverse. lol  He sewed my stomach up and patched it all around for better protection from leaks. Then he actually cut a very tiny portion of the intestine where he had cut prior to avoid working with dead scar tissue.So everything went off without any complications and yes, Im back to the way I was. Good luck.
Mytimetolive
on 4/4/11 3:52 pm
Wow!  Well I am definately so happy that you are feeling great now.  I'm sorry that you had to go through tha, but it's a real good thing that you had what sounds like a wonderful surgeon.  Good luck to you and to your health for the rest of your life.  I think that it's wonderful as well that you had someone explain the procedure to you as well.  You have definately gave me some additional information that I was seeking and I know that there is a lot of people that will benefit from you.  Thank you again for being open and honest.  Take Care.
Mytimetolive
on 4/15/11 11:10 pm
gorymarin
on 4/26/16 12:04 pm

Hello! I am looking for a place and a serious doctor who can do a gastric bypass reversal. I have read your post and I would like to know the name of the doctor who did it and where can I contact him. Thanks a lot for your help!

missymag1
on 4/4/11 12:42 am - MI
Hi to  everyone, I am getting my reversed within the next two weeks. I had my surgery done on Nov 8, 2010, and I have had 6 scopes done going tomorrow for #7 been in the hospital 2 times for malnutrition and have had a picc line for 4 weeks now and get tnp every night. I lost over 80 pounds in 4 months. Can't do anything for myself too weak. I am so sorry I had this done I got a ulcer that just keeps growing can't eat or drink, if it wasn't for the feedings at night I would have nothing in me, my blood pressure has dropped to very low numbers and now on med's for it. It was good to find these posts I have looked for something to tell my story to and thank god I found all of you
Mytimetolive
on 4/15/11 10:49 pm
Hi, I was just following up on your post regarding your reversal.  I just wanted to ask if you had your reversal done and how are you feeling now?  Do you feel healthier?  I also wanted to ask you how hard was it to get your reversal approved by your insurance company?  I hope all is going well for you and any advice that you may have have regarding the procedure is greatly appreciated.
cjkoepp
on 5/4/11 6:21 am - NC
Hello,
 I had my gastric on Feb 28th 2011 and wish i had never done it. I having the same issues it sounds like that you were having. dehydration , can't eat or drink and can't take any of my meds/ vitamins. I'm so tired of this. I want mine reveresed so bad . Does insurance cover this?

Any help would be appreciated. Since you have had your reversal are you back to normal?? can you eat and do what you usedto do before the surgery?
missymag1
on 5/4/11 10:26 pm - MI
Hello to everyone, I have not had the reversal done yet, I'm going in on Monday May 9th for them to remove scar tissue and maybe the gallbladder. I had the picc line removed last Tuesday because of infection so now I'm on my own for getting food and liquid in me and it is hard, I hurt all the time. My doctor wants to redo the surgery and start all over again, my insurance did approve for that. I was told I had less than 50/50 of the reversal working but a 80-90% of redoing it working. So I guess I'll have to wait until Monday and see what happens when he get's in there and find out what my problem is besides the ulcer. I will keep everyone posted.
Most Active