Stomach pain after hernia repair?

Alyson M.
on 1/9/12 4:37 am - Dennis Port, MA
This is a cross-post from the main board...
Wow, it's been forever since I've posted on here. I had my RNY 7 years ago, lost a good amount of weight, gained a bit back after having my second child, had my gallbladder out. I've been doing fine till right before Thanksgiving.

I couldn't keep anything down, no liquids or solids, and I had persistent pain in my abdomen. I spent a week in the hospital getting tests done with no results, was out for 10 days, then went back in after my symptoms got worse. Finally after talking to various doctors who couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong, my gastro decided that an exploratory laparoscopic surgery was the best bet.

I'm glad he did! Turns out I had a hernia where my stomach & intestine were connected when he did my RNY 7 years ago, which wouldn't show up on a cat scan, and he did a bit of cleanup while he was in there as well. I recovered fine, was sent home, and just had a 2 week postop checkup last Thursday.

Anyway, that's the background info for my current problem. I'm on an acid reducer daily, stool softener as needed, and only taking my pain meds (oxycodone aka vicodin) twice a day (I developed a hematoma under one of my lap incisions, still hurts badly sometimes, they said it's normal)

When I eat, I don't eat much, and I don't drink till at least an hour after I eat (going back to basics mostly since I know I'm still healing and my pouch has shrunk back to the size it's supposed to be) but after I eat, regardless of WHAT I eat, I feel almost like a gas pain in my stomach. It hurts, not a dull sensation at all, and it feels like there's pressure being put on my abdomen, and position definitely affects how I feel. If I am sitting up/bent over/lying down I feel fine, but getting up and walking or standing upright REALLY hurts. Only after I eat, not after I drink, and it lasts for an hour or so. Anyone else experience something like this? Obviously if it continues I know to call my surgeon, but I wanted to check in here with some of you who aren't recent post-ops of the original surgery.

update: I had some soup for lunch, and now it hurts regardless of position. Sitting up hurts the least but still hurts to the point that I want to take a pain pill ... 1 hour later, I lay down for a while and it helped a little, I AM passing gas but it hasn't made a difference. However, the vicodin I took 10 minutes ago is making me a bit more comfortable, although there is still a feeling of heavy pressure inside.

310/229/132/160 (highest/current/lowest/goal)

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/18/12 7:43 am, edited 1/25/12 9:28 am
I hope you went and talked to the doc.
it can be anything. Even the hernia back again. (that happened to me..) I had hernia repair and 2 weeks later the hernia was back.  I know that for sure since 10 months later (leaving with pain on and off)  I had another surgery and another hernia was found and fixed.
It also can be an ulcer... or you may need some good bacteria .... During surgery - they usually give us antibiotics (to prevent infections) and that will kill the friendly bacteria. 

I hope you went to see a doc.  If that was ulcer(s) - it can be treated. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Julissita
on 3/14/12 8:40 am - houston, TX
 Your story sounds like mine. Same thing I just had it done last Wednesday. I too am having  a hard time eating solid foods. I have been eating Jello w protein, pudding w protien, protein shakes, etc. I go to drink a redimix shake and can only do 1/4 at a time. I think its our instentines being resituated and we have to get it all working again. I am going to see the Dr on saturday and will ask what he recommends. I have one port that is KILLINg me when i get up- on my right side next to my bely button. I had RNY 3 yrs ago.I can hear the food and liquid move in my stomach- it is weird.
Danniella P.
on 1/26/13 2:42 am - Va Beach, VA
something similar has happened to me. I had my RNY8 years ago. I have had several hetnia repairs with mesh. over the summer I became very ill and was in the hopital for 2 weeks, many test, low blood count, infection, low iron and sevetal other systoms. no one could fiqure what was going on. I know the abdominal pain was awful., not even pain m would last long. finally before the holidays the fiqure it all was possibly caused from the mesh in my abdominal. I bwen telling them something was wrong. because I co fe knots and pins. things that didnt feel normal. well 10 days ago I had open hetnia repair and mesh removal. they went in and that top mesh was a mess. it was folded and buckled. now I not sure if is the mesh that has a recall. I am still in enormous pain. I fell like more than when I was in the hospital. I sm passing gas, but have so much pressure. cold and hot sweats. I have a belly binder it helps alittle. I just want the pain to go.
Most Active