Gastric Strictures & G-Tubes

Gud4ewe
on 8/17/13 4:12 am - OK
RNY on 06/24/13

I had my gastric bypass on 6/24/13. In less than 2 months, I have been back in the hospital 3 times, and am now reduced to getting my primary nutrition from a feeding tube that goes into my old stomach through a hole just under my ribcage. 

I have developed a stricture in my intestine, just past my stomach pouch, so I can only eat about 2 ounces of anything at a time before I am so full I have to stop.  Once I do eat or drink something, it takes hours (Around 5 to 8) to digest it before I can eat or drink again.  I was throwing up everything, even water.  I called my surgeon, and he scheduled me for an EGD with Dilation.  When they attempted the procedure they found my intestinal opening past the pouch had closed to only 4mm in size from the average 14mm.  It was so small, they couldn't get the scoped camera through the opening.  The doctor performing the procedure called my Surgeon immediately to inform him of the severity, and suggested a hospital stay and a more formal inspection.  My surgeon declined saying this was still the least evasive procedure, even with the higher risks.  During the attempt to dilate the stricture, my intestine ruptured.  They didn't notice it during the procedure, and sent me home.  On the ride home I ended up going to the ER because the pain was more than I could take.  A Cat Scan in the ER showed the leak.  I staid for 2 days in the ICU and 7 more in the hospital's bariatric wing before it healed enough for me to go home.  

4 days later I was informed that I would have to get a feeding tube surgically placed into my old stomach to bypass that issue until a proper dilation degree could be achieved.  I've had the feeding tube for a week now, and it is still painful.  In 3 weeks, I have to go back in for another EDG & Dilation, then will continue to redo that procedure every 2 weeks until the desired intestinal opening is maintained.  They said I will have to repeat the procedure at least 5 more times, as they can only dilate me 2mm at a time, and have cautioned me to the high likelihood that a repuncture will occur during the next few procedures, netting me additional stays in the hospital.  I also need 2 EGD procedures before they will consider removing this feeding tube.

Every day I wonder how common is this...  Why me?  And every day I wish this were easier.  I can hardly eat anything, and I don't dare to try solid foods of course.  Date nights are much harder now because I'm always recovering, and now am additionally embarrassed that I'm not only fat, but have this alarming looking feeding tube coming out my side.  It is not anything I can hide under my clothes, so I'd rather stay home.  My husband understands, and he's been very good about this, but I need a night away from myself, I'm sure he does to by now.  I just want a normal life again.  No protein replacements through a tube in my side, no more IVs, no more hospital stays, no more struggling to maintain the basic functions of my day, no more bandages.  Aside from being fat, I was otherwise healthy before bariatric surgery.  Not anymore.  I'm a medical nightmare.

juleskar
on 8/21/13 1:13 pm
I pray for you that the EGD's work and you can get rid of the feeding tube soon. I'm curious, however. How does the feeding tube into the remenent stomach provide nutrition, since it's no longer attached to the intestine? Or am I completely off my rocker and it is attached? I have no medical experience, so I'm sorry if that question is stupid.
I truly hope you begin feeling better soon!!
katym
on 8/21/13 9:25 pm - PA

No question is stupid, we all need to learn from and encourage each other. I had a different surgery myself but my understanding is that the remnant stomach in a bypass is simply attached to another section of intestine. Hence the name RNY. The Y stands for the new shape of the intestines after surgery. 

To the original poster: best wishes for healing & perseverance.

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

Most Active