Petersen's Hernia

AngiePoo
on 2/5/15 11:54 am - Camp Hill, PA

Hi Everyone,  I haven't been online in a long while. Recently I have had a lot of health issues and not sure where to turn. I have been through a series of tests and procedures which have all come back negative or within normal limits. It's completely frustrating. Finally, I myself decided to return to my original surgeon after 3 years post op gastric bypass.  He immediately said that he believes I have what is called a Petersen's Hernia.  I personally had many symptoms indicative of acute/chronic Pancreatitis. However, no one believes this is my problem. I know many times both Pancreatitis and Petersen's Hernia are commonly overlooked and misdiagnosed.  I have also read there is no clear test that can prove or show this type of hernia.  Has anyone had this and if so, can you tell me what your symptoms were, how long they lasted and how it was diagnosed.  Also, I want to know what tests, if any, can confirm this diagnosis.  And likewise, if anyone can shed any light on Pancreatitis symptoms and if this is a common by product of having gastric bypass. Sadly, I am desperate and need some help and guidance as soon as possible.  Thank you in advance to all and any *****ply.

airinz
on 4/25/15 5:09 am

Hi,

I think this is exactly what is going on with me! I am thinking about going back to my original surgeon because no one else can figure out what else is wrong with me. I get sharp pains on my left upper quadrant, going to my back. They aren't constant, but can last a good long time. I get really nauseous and vomit. I have a hard time keeping food down. I've lost soooo much weight from this, unrelated to the bypass. And the CTs and other tests don't show anything. But I know I'm not crazy. Something is wrong!!

Keep me posted as to what you find out!

Erin

StrawWalker
on 1/8/16 3:10 am
Try discontinuing calcium and vitamin d if you are taking them. Sounds like hyper alchemical due to a vit d toxicity to me. Worth a shot for sure.
Take care
StrawWalker

Start 290, Current 180, Goal 150
Jill A.
on 5/16/15 1:10 am

Well..this is exactly what happened to me, but on an extreme level. My pain started one night and I woke up in ICU the next morning. I had a Petersen's hernia that strangulated and perforated my remnant stomach. My abdomen was filled with infection because my remnant necrotized and basically popped. I ended up with sepsis, Pneumonia, an emergency subtotal gastrectomy, and pancreatitis. The surgeon said he has never seen anything like it, and has never seen anyone so close to death in his entire career. I only remember some of it, thank goodness..but the pain came on as a bad gas pain at first. Then I thought I had to poop..then vomit. Neither of those happened, but when I dry heaved, the pain went from 'what the heck is wrong with me?' To me telling my husband that I was dying, and that he needed to get me to the hospital. The pain that came on is something I could never begin to describe. I felt like somebody stabbed me through the chest/abdomen and out my back. I couldn't get any air, and the pain that quickly developed was excruciating. Something in me knew that if he called an ambulance, I wouldn't make it. Turns out I was right. I spent three weeks in ICU on every antibiotic you could imagine, I had a tube in my chest to drain the fluid/pockets around my lungs and a feeding tube. Somehow I am alive today. What I wanted to get across to you is..please follow your instinct. If something is wrong, it needs to be addressed now. I didn't know there was any sort of herniation, but in the course of two hours, the herniated intestines wrapped around my stomach and itself...7 years and zero complications later (after my RNY). I noticed this post originated in February, so I am very curious what happened. Please feel free to ask whatever you'd like. I'm an open book.

RNY: 11/2006

Subtotal gastrectomy: 09/2013

airinz
on 1/8/16 4:19 am

Wow! That is quite the complication! Petersen's hernia is no joke. I hadn't followed up on this thread since I posted in April, as a reply to the original poster, until I got a reply to my post today. I did end up seeing my original surgeon. He did an EGD and colonoscopy. I was told that I couldn't have Petersen's hernia, because when I did the bowel prep, I would have had extreme pain doing it to the point of unbearable if I had the hernia. The tests showed not much of anything. The conclusion is that they think I probably have adhesions and some narrowing in areas that causes my pain. The problem now is that I keep having extreme diarrhea all the time, no matter what I eat or do. I also take pain medicine daily, which should constipate, not lead to this state. So I'm trying to figure out what's causing this. I had just gotten to a point where the meds I was on were keeping the pain tolerable for me where I could function pretty well. And now this! I think it goes to show that this surgery is full of complications, maybe years after-- here I am almost 6 years out!!

Most Active