work in Dept. of Corrections

Alma M.
on 2/24/04 6:39 pm - Nashville, TN
Hello,my name is Alma and I work in a prison in Nashville.They say it's a mans job but there are more and more women getting into the field of corrections.Unfortunately there will always be a need for our jobs.As long as there are criminals on the street.It's harder work than people think,not just the physical part but the stress of maybe not coming home at the end of your shift.The families have the stress too.On top of all that,a lot of correction officers are not in good shape(myself included) and it sometimes hampers your ability to do an effective job.We just have to do the best we can and hope for the best!Anybody out there got opinions on the subject?
Tina A.
on 3/13/04 5:18 am - Logansport, IN
Hello Alma!!! My name is Tina and I also work for the Department of Corrections as an officer. Everyone does think its a mans job but hey it pays the bills and it is an adventure. I don't think I have experienced any two days the same. Keep up your good work!!!
NITAB
on 3/16/04 12:02 pm - Anywhere, AL
Hi, my name is Nita and I work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons is Alabama. Everyone says it is a man's job but sometimes it takes a great woman to do a man's job. God Bless you all!
BullDog Lady
on 8/27/04 4:05 am - Somewhere GREAT!
HI Nita... In any Prison it can be hectic. Woman today in Corrections have it harder than the natural male cause we are not suppose to be in that enviroment. COntrary to popular beliefs though we have to get out there and support ourselfs one way or another...single or not. It's just great to know that God built us to handle the crap that men put out to us everyday. I don't work in the Fed's of course I work for the State but I can just imagine that it is the same anywhere you work as far as prison goes. Keep your faith!!!!!!! Email me sometime if you want. Becky
NITAB
on 8/27/04 5:43 pm - Anywhere, AL
Hi Becky, I am glad we have something in COmmon. What state do you work in? I have come up against so much junk being a female in this profession. I get called in and asked questions about situations they would not even ask a male about! Stupid things that inmates tell them when you write them up and its time to pay the piper. They want to make you look bad. But I would much rather work with men than women. I have worked with women and God help me it makes you hate us as a sex. We are ten times more vindictive and vicious then men. I want an administrative job now. Inmates I think color my attitude on how I react to some people in everyday life. My family tells me I am suspicious of everything. I tell them as a CO you have to be concious of your surroundings or anything can happen to you. Be Good and write soon, Nita
BullDog Lady
on 8/31/04 10:44 am - Somewhere GREAT!
Hey there you! Good to hear from you Nita. I see you have your hands full working with woman in the Fed's. I have heard many a horror stories about woman in prison. truly I beleive if I had to I would give it up cause it aint worth it. Besides.....we know how we are, I would not want to be in the middle of a female situation LOL I wil ljust leave it up to the bravest of woman like you!!! I work in Florida DOC...all male prison. To me there better to handle than the woman. It's almost like babysitting lil kids. My mother calls me an "over paid" Adult Babysitter. I dont like that but that is just her. In any case I, as well as others put our lives on teh line daily lookin after convicts and I truly beleiove we should get better pay and better INSURANCE for that matter. BUt that is just me and my pet peeve . I do understand what you mean though about being questioned. One thing I remember when I first started was we were told as woman ....dont talk to one inmate that long..or someone or some inmate will think you are easy. To me...there aint one convict that has anything for me. I have a wonderfull husband and a wonderfull life on the outside. I dont need anything else. Oh and then there are the "cliq" I hate those. Those are the worst. My motto is I am here to make my 8 and then go home. If I make friends onteh job that is great...but I dont and refuse to kiss there butt inorder to do so! That is just me. I get told I will never go anywhere with that attitude. Well maybe I will or maybe I want, who knows! Anyhooosss let me quite ramblin. Bee good girlfriend. Write me again! Becky
BullDog Lady
on 3/24/04 8:39 am - Somewhere GREAT!
Hey Alma I too also work in the Department of Correction in Florida. It is an all male prison. It is like you said....There will always be criminals....there for our jobs are secure. I too am not in the best of shape to work like i need to in the DOC facility....but someone has to pay the bills. Don't get discouraged. If those guys see you getting that way they will use it against you. I go in not giving a crap what a convict has to say to me. There is only one man that I get concerned about....my husband who also works where I do now. Keep a stiff upper lip! Becky
Tamazon59
on 3/27/04 2:41 am - Carlton, MN
Hey Ladies, Do you know what is funny about this. We all think it's a mans job but only women posted. I also work in Corrections at a jail in Northern Minnesota. I love it and again there will always be jobs out there for us who want to work in this field. Nice to hear from othe rwomen in corrections. Tammy
BullDog Lady
on 3/27/04 9:19 am - Somewhere GREAT!
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WOMAN POWER!!! Becky
Tamazon59
on 4/3/04 1:22 am - Carlton, MN
Your web page is nice . I like dogs also, I currently have two. Good Luck to you. Tammy
Most Active