Hey Dancers!

shoutjoy
on 5/22/03 3:59 am - Culpeper, VA
I want to share with you a poem that was as a result of dance. Awakening! What kind of awakening did I have? It is not easy to talk about things that hurt. When my life was at it's most trying time, it took a wonderful dance instructor named Luana to help me find that positive energy and force within me that changed my life. I was working as a Sign Language Interpreter at City College of San Francisco, http://www.ccsf.edu/ when I decided to take some dance classes. I was so impressed with this teacher, Luana, and how she would inspire her "dancers" regardless of age, sex, size or ability. We were all her dancers. Anyway, I was in Production. This class was geared towards performing once a year in front of the whole school along with other dance departments (ballroom, ballet, jazz, tap, etc.). We did a concert called, Freedom. One portion of this production was based on beliefs, habits, limitations or lies, that were causing us to stumble in our walk of life. To illustrate these habits and or beliefs, we used ropes. So for the duration of this class, we were required to really do a soul search and find out what it was in us that we were doing or believing that was preventing us from succeeding. Mine was self image. Imagine, me at 214 pounds trying to be artistic, graceful, and do something that is so contrary to what the world would think a dancer would be. One portion of the dance, I had to hold the rope for the lead dancer. I became an extension of her limitation. I could FEEL her struggle as she danced, struggling against this rope. I began to see a light within myself that was so hidden by my self doubt, dislike and negativity. As a result, this poem was birthed. AWAKENING My heart is aflame with new desire! Like a rosebud bursting into a flower Full of color and fragrance. Although my hands ache with each aerial movement, I must realize the new passion welling up inside me. I must move on to higher levels, deeper understanding. Dance.... A birthing from deep within! A passion unlike anything yet experienced! Dance.... A fuller spiritual awareness! Bodies, locked in memories silenced, trapped in abstract words separated from reality. Words and language cannot unlock their souls. What is their language? Touching, feeling, gestures and sounds? It's there! Bodies, normal outside. In travail inside. Laughing, saying everything is fine. Shadows, darkness lurk in deep places. Dance.... Mirrors, smooth clear waters reflect what is real! Movement, cannot hide.... JOY! AWAKENING!! by: Paula Warner
Sandy G.
on 7/30/03 4:18 am - East Northport, NY
Dear Paula, Thank you for your moving post! As a dance instructor and general lover of dancing and movement, I truly appreciate your thoughts and feelings on the subject! I thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts down and sharing them with us! While we teach a form of ballroom dancing called Round Dancing, I think we share the love of movement with the music that you described. It is a connection of the deepest kind and it is truly special! Again, thank you for your message! Sandy
shoutjoy
on 5/28/04 12:41 am - Culpeper, VA
Hi Sandy, WOW! Guess I need to check the message board more often, huh? It's like almost a year???? sorry! I am going to audition for the dance team at my church next weekend. I am HOPING I get in. I've been involved in many drama/dance productions over the last few years. Anyway, I am really excited! My church offers free classes in HipHop and Ballet so I've been taking advantage of those as well. I was in ballroom for awhile but got tired of my husband not wanting to get involved and I didn't care much for dancing with other men so I stopped that. Anyway, sorry it has taken me so long to write back!
Most Active
Recent Topics
New to Forum~Belly Dancing
lv2beasahm · 2 replies · 766 views
Love to go dancing!!!
heidi123 · 0 replies · 376 views
New to Belly dancing!
KristinO · 3 replies · 592 views