Insulin injections and weight gain

Jamesnana
on 2/26/12 4:21 am - MA
Hi, everyone--

From reading all your posts. I gather insulin is almost guaranteed to put weight on. I switched from metformin when my sugar went out of control. Ever since I have gained 50 lbs on top of the 100 I was overweight from psych meds. Now I am closer to 300 than 200 lbs, and at 5'1 I am in deep trouble so am considering surgery. How hard is this? I need a reality check.
funkyphillygirl
on 2/26/12 11:01 pm
I've been using insulin for almost 25 years and yes, it does tend to cause weight gain.  Insulin promotes fat storage so, if you are a Type 2 diabetic that makes (but can't use) your own insulin and then you inject more, you tend to gain weight. 

I gained about 90 pounds from the time I went on insulin until I had RNY in September.  I had the surgery to improve my diabetes control, not so much for weight loss.  I am a Type 1 diabetic, so insulin will always be a part of my life.  I will just have to manage it.

In 5 months, I've lost abuot 50 pounds and am on MUCH less medicine and getting more out of the insulin I do inject.  That's the nice thing about reducing your body weight - generally you need less medicine.  If you are a type 2 diabetic, you may not need much, if any, medicine after surgery.  If you are type 1, like me, you'll still need it, but you'll probably also need less.

Please remember that, if you have RNY vs. Lap band, the procedure is both restrictive (you eat less because you have less room) and malabsorptive (your body does not absorb calories in the same way),  There is also something that happens in the upper part of the intestines that has a very positive effect on the way your body processes food - and many Type 2's have an immediate impact.  Some leave the hospital on no medication after surgery.  Mine was greatly reduced immediately, although getting the right insulin doses for me took some time.

Good luck!

jc75035
on 2/29/12 4:07 am - TX
I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic in 2005 and was on a mountain of mediciines prior to RNY. When I started insulin at the beginning of 2010 I gained more than 50 lbs in 3 months. Prior to RNY surgery I was taking Metformin, Actos, Lipitor, Ramipril, Humalog, Lantus and Victoza (last 3 are insulins) and my A1C was 7.4%.

After RNY I am taking 1/2 dose of Metformin, already lost more than 50lbs in 2 1/2 months and my A1C is heading under 6.

It works, but it is hard work. I am also going to the gym 5 days a week and eating well.
lrm1986
on 4/2/12 11:48 am
I'm currently on Lantus, but I have a strong feeling that when I go to the Dr this week I'm going on fast acting insulin. I was on it about 6 years ago with another dr and I did gain, once I got off I lost a little, my current dr took me off and has tried serveral other things since, but my BS is HIGH and metformin and lantus are not touching it. My BMi is not high enough for surgery but I have a feeling once I start the insulin it will be!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 157 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 484 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views