Won't Operate due to A1C levels- Advice Needed!

dcampbell109
on 5/1/12 2:10 am - Dallastown, PA
RNY on 05/29/12
Hello all,

Me and my husband are in the process for GB Surgery and he is diabetic (Type 2).  He had an A1C test done and the nurse called to let him know that it is at 9.8.  They told him that they couldn't operate with it being that high but no one has explained WHY.  Is there anyone else who had or is having this problem that can give me some insight. 
gsowers
on 5/1/12 4:21 am - Greenup, IL
I am a registered nurse, also seeking surgery...and a Type 2 Diabetic myself. The reason that they want to postpone surgery until sugars are more controlled is realted to healing. Diabetics with uncontrolled blood sugars have trouble with infections (bacteria love sigar!) and don't heal well. I know this is hard, but they are concered about his well being. Had the same thing happen to me several years ago when I was scheduled for a hysterectomy. Had to get my sugars down first.

funkyphillygirl
on 5/2/12 12:30 am
Completely agree with the response you received.  He will have SO much less risk if his hbA1c comes down closer to 7.0. I am Type 1.5 diabetic, so have featuers of both and had the surgery in September 2011.  He needs to get to an endocrinologist and get a plan to manage those blood sugars NOW.  He likely needs changes in his medications, and perhaps insulin if he is not already using it.  I know many type 2 diabetics fear insulin, but it's truly the BEST tool for lowering and controlling blood sugars quickly and efficiently.  Just remember what the end goal is - a healthier life.  Getting the blood sugars controlled is a major step in that direction.

Good luck!

crw4bama
on 5/13/12 8:59 am - Chattanooga , TN
RNY on 06/13/12
I am a nurse as well. When you have diabetes your body heals at a slower rate., Well controlled A1C is 7 or below. 9.5 is way too high. He needs to get his meds changed up from his pcp.
Hope this helps
Christy
vkhill22
on 7/30/12 2:50 pm - Duluth, MN
I've been a type 1 diabetic for 23 years. On the insulin pump for 10 years. My a1c ran about a 9 to 10 for most of those years. I too was told I had to wait until I got my a1c below an 8 before they would do my rny. It took me about 7 months working closely with a diabetic nutritionist and I finally did it. I did it along with the nutrition visits that my insurance required for the rny surgery. So it was a win-win situation for me. It wasn't easy, but well worth it!! Good Luck!!

SmallTownJen
on 9/1/12 5:48 pm - IN
DS on 10/03/12
Hello ! I am currently in the process of lowering my A1C.  I was originally scheduled for the DS on 8/2 and now rescheduled for 10/3. 
What everyone above has said about healing was what I was told.  Although it saddened and aggravated me to have to postpone, I know they did it with my best interest in mind.
The bariatric group suggested insulin, but my PCP prescribed Victoza injections and they have done the trick.  In one month, my A1C went from 10.9 to 9.0 so I am well on my way to be below the 8 by surgery.
Even though it is an injectable, and I was TERRIFIED of dealing with the needles, it comes in pen form and sometimes I do not feel it at all !
Just be aware, there are options !
Best of luck to you and your husband !

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 822 views