diabetic neuropathy medications

1crazy_cat_lady
on 5/29/12 2:19 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
I've been a diabetic for years on insulin for the last few of them.  I have neuropathy but strangely enough when I wasn't controlling my sugars it didn't bother me.  I've completely changed my eating in prep for surgery (no date yet) and since I'm managing my numbers the burning and tingling in the evening makes me want to scream.  I am aware that people take different medications but is there something you can take "as needed" versus daily?  I'm already on a slew of pills and would prefer to have something for when I just can't deal with the pain.  Thanks!

HW: 361  CW: 337.8  Goal:  To come off most of my meds

funkyphillygirl
on 5/30/12 11:50 pm
I'm sorry, but I don't really know anything about neuropathy meds.  Have you talked with your endocrinologist or neurologist about options?
danielfife530
on 6/14/12 7:20 pm - NY
 Diabetic neuropathy can cause pain, numbness, burning or tingling in the legs and feet, dizziness, digestive problems, bladder infections and sexual problems. Diabetics should work closely with their doctors to keep blood sugar levels under control to prevent the condition from worsening.
i think the most importentsmedication is pain relif, foot care , dizziness and weaknes, urinary and sexual problems. Take care
southernlady5464
on 6/14/12 11:35 pm
I used a mixture of meds for my diabetic neuropathy...some all the time, others for break thru pain and taken as needed.

My long term was topamax.
My take as needed was tramadol and elavil. 

I'm almost 17 months out from surgery and am off ALL pain meds.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

mokee
on 6/19/12 2:25 am - OH
Your post was very encouraging for me,  I am on nuerotin which has helped me alot.  But to hear that you are off all pain meds is very encouraging for me.  Were you on insulin?  Did you have the sleeve?
southernlady5464
on 6/19/12 2:34 am
Glad I could encourage you.

I despised neurontin...actually affected my memory permenantly and made me gain 50 lbs in less than 6 months. I came off that evil drug (to me) in 2002 and haven't looked back. Topamax helped me lose that excess weight, along with counting carbs.

I WAS on an insulin pump for my diabetes (type 2) and came off it about 2 weeks after surgery...came off the metformin about 2 months after surgery.

I had a DS...the sleeve was not an alternative to me and I did not want to spend my life dieting after the first two years. I'd already spend 45 years on a diet trying to lose weight...

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 823 views