Taking Metformin

LilyoftheValley07-30
on 9/14/14 8:46 am

I would like to ask all of you who are taking Metformin….. Do you crush the pill before taking it?  My dietician said that it is best to alway cru**** before you take it.  

Those of you who take it whole, do you have any stomach problems?  I had the sleeve done and I am 6 wks postop and I might have to get back on Metformin.  My A1C is still at a 9.

I was just wondering!

Lily

specklepark
on 9/19/14 3:27 am - Minburn, Canada
RNY on 01/29/14

Hi, Right after my RNYGB I crushed my Metformin for months but after about 6-7 months post op, I started swallowing it whole with fluid.  I do get nausea/vomiting but I am sure it is not because of taking my meds whole, happens to me after I eat anything pretty much.  Best to ask your physician though what is best for your individual case.

Stace62
on 11/14/14 8:00 am
VSG on 10/31/14

I bought a pill cutter at Shopper's Drug Mart that works awesome, I cut my Metformin in 2 pieces and take each with a sip of water, I cannot get a pill that big down yet - had my sleeve done Oct 31st.

How are your sugars now? Have they settled back down?

HW-240  SW-235  CW-209   M1-26.4  M2-xx  M3-xx  M4-xx

Han Shot First
on 11/20/14 12:49 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I crushed mine for the first two weeks, and then I was allowed to start taking them whole.  I take the 500 mg twice a day, so they're not too large.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

ebonymc
on 12/21/14 2:45 am, edited 12/21/14 2:47 am

I had the band for 5 years before I had it removed and I had always chewed it in half (ugh). I was told to do so. I swallowed with water quickly. I want to have the surgery soon b/c my A1C is at a 9 too. I was told that RNY may help better in resolving or lowering it. I'm a light weight and very afraid to have RNY, but I gotta do what I gotta do. You're in my prayers and keep me in yours too! We're in a win-lose LOSE situation

DanaDenise
on 6/30/15 11:22 pm

I use a pill cutter to cut it into 4ths.  I did this right from the start and was fine.  You can get a pill cutter for a dollar at the dollar store, and drug stores sell them at a reasonable cost too.

kidean803
on 9/24/15 6:45 pm

I spoke with my doctor tonight about my Metformin and crushing my pills.  My doctor said that it comes in a liquid form, however it is more expensive.  I'm going to contact my pharmacy and find out how much.  I'm waiting on my surgery now.  My A1C was 9.9 but with this diet for the surgery it is now 6.6  . Ask your pharmacy about the liquid form.  Good Luck.

Bonkerz1
on 12/20/16 2:53 am
VSG on 06/12/16

I take metformin and nine other meds. I just space them out but I never crushed or cut any.  As long as I took one at a time with a sip of water, about 20 mins apart I've been sweet. I just put my days meds in a small container at the start of the day and make sure I finish them by bed time.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 823 views