Whey protein running up sugar???

JOY H.
on 7/12/12 12:56 am - Jackson, NC
RNY on 06/27/12
I am two weeks out from RNY.  I'm type 2 diabetic and was sent home on about a fourth of the insulin I was taking before surgery.  The whole 1st week after surgery, I drank nothing but 100% whey protein shakes mixed with skim milk...2oz 6xday for meals.  Water and diet V8 Splash in between.  Sugars ran over 300 with several spikes over 400 the whole week.  Added a little more insulin.
The second week I added chicken broth with unjury protein to 2-3 meals.  Sugars started dropping below 300, but still over 230.
At 2 wk checkup, PA told me to stop using milk for shakes and start pureed foods.  Yesterday I only ate pureed food and sugar was below 200 all day!  YAY!  I felt so much better but felt like I didn't get the whole 70g protein in for the day.
This morning sugar was 165 at 7::30.  I drank some black coffee.  An hour later I mixed a shake with water (to add some extra for the day), drank about 4 oz.  I started feeling dizzy and nauseous, checked my sugar and it was 350!!!  It had jumped 200 points after drinking that shake!!  Protein powder only has 2g sugar per scoop and I used 1 1/2 scoop in 1 cup water and drank half of that.
What in the world is going on???
funkyphillygirl
on 7/12/12 6:52 am
I'd check in with your doctor again about it all, but I am betting it's just the stress on your body from surgery that is still playing some tricks on you.  Also, if you used to only eat 3 times a day and are now eating more frequently, your body is probably having trouble keeping up with that.  Those of us on insulin usually cover meals and, in those early weeks after surgery, the only way to get in your protein is to do it fairly constantly.  If you are downing carbs (as you were with milk) along with that, you are likely not efficiently covering the post "meal" spikes.  I dealt with this a bit after RNY myself - nutritionists were telling me to eat/drink all the time and I just couldn't cover that with insulin. 

Get some more guidance on how to manage it all and remember that the stress of surgery is still working on your body.  It will settle down eventually, but your body will react and there isn't always a lot you can do to cover it. 
H.A.L.A B.
on 8/1/12 8:05 am, edited 8/3/12 7:28 am
I am not diabetic but I am RNY and 4 years post op .
I deal with RH - reactive hypoglycemia.
I can't drink whey - made with water. My BS will get up and then drop. But if I make the same shake with some fat - my BS raises slowly and stays that way.

Some proteins are better than others.
I buy unsweet coconut milk or almond milk (the drinkable type)  and I mix 1/2 cup or  1 cup of that with 1 scoop of protein powder. I like using whey isolate, because it suppose to have less sugar.

Also  - some people may react to Splenda . Even though for most - it is OK - my body may treat that as sugar - not all the time - but some times. Not sure why.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

dmhe
on 8/18/12 3:41 pm - TX
I use Synthrax Nectar protein and the sugars are low, I noticed when I started mixing with unsweetened Almond Milk or water, my sugars went back to normal range.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 822 views