Had RNY on 9/11 and having lots of low sugars

AnniesSS
on 9/15/12 3:50 pm
RNY on 09/11/12
Before surgery, I was on meds to maintain my Type 2 diabetes and my counts were always between 90-130 with occassional lows and highs.  Since surgery a few days ago, I'm having trouble getting my bloodsugar to stay over 80 :(  This morning, I was down to 71!

While in the hospital, they were constantly checking and I wasn't bad until the night they removed my IV and I went down to 76 and they put me back on the IV, gave me something and I went back to just over 100. 

Now at home, I'm chasing to bring it up!  yes, I'm going to call my doctor on Monday, but until then, anything I can do?  I'm still in Phase 1 = water, broth, G2, Jell-O, etc, with the only carbs coming from the 12oz max of G2 I can drink a day, which brings me up at that time, but 6oz in the morning and 6oz in the afternoon are barely enough.  I'd love some suggestions until I can talk to my doctor.

Thanks for your help! )
  Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

funkyphillygirl
on 9/16/12 3:58 pm
Your blood sugars are completely in a normal range  (65-110) and I don't think there's anything you need to  worry about or do.  I would expect you to be lower in the morning, since that is likely your fasting blood sugar reading.  If you were coming in below 60, then I would say that you were chasing hypoglycemia, but 71 is just fine. 

Obviously, anything with carbohydrates in it will bring you up.  Any clear juice, like apple, will give you a small bump since you can't consume too much of it at this point in your recovery.  Depending on the broth, that might also give you a bit more. 

However, as a 26 year insulin dependent diabetic, I'd say your blood sugars are considered completely normal and in range and aren't really anything to worry about it.  This is really great news and you could be one of those people that experiences a cure from diabetes.  Congrats!
AnniesSS
on 9/16/12 4:03 pm
RNY on 09/11/12
Thank you for replying :)  I was slightly worried because in the hospital, they made sure to bring up my BS when I was in the 70's.  I only felt badly when I hit 71.  I can now have diluted juice and cream of wheat, so that will help bring me up now for sure. :)

have a great day!

funkyphillygirl
on 9/16/12 6:53 pm
Congrats on your surgery!  I just hit a year on Wednesday, so I can imagine where you are in your recovery.  I was there exactly one year ago!

Do call your doctor to check in about your blood sugars.  Perhaps he/she will want you in a slightly different range, but the readings really are texbook normal. 

Please check back and let me know how you are doing.  Any other questions at this point of your journey?  What surgery did you have?
AnniesSS
on 9/17/12 4:43 am
RNY on 09/11/12
Thanks again. I had RNY.  My bloodsugar last night, before dinner was 68, so Im glad it was time to eat anyway!  I didn't check again, knowing that I would come up and this morning, I was 88 when I woke up, so now that I can eat some things, I know I'll most likely stay in the proper range :)  If my lows do continue, I will call the doctor.  

Thanks so much for the help! It is nice to have people "on call" to answer questions, since so many have been where I am now :)

Have a great Monday!

southernlady5464
on 9/18/12 8:05 am
Normal blood sugars according to the NIH is 70-99. That's why they were trating it when you got to 71...very low end of normal. However, your meter may be reading lower or the lab the hospital used reads lower...so jus****ch it.

Check with your endo and surgeon but one thing, if you are still on meds...call them today.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

AnniesSS
on 9/18/12 8:27 am
RNY on 09/11/12
Nope, no meds. Have been off of them since doing the pre-surgery protein shakes. :)

kellylamb1982
on 9/28/12 1:31 am
do you get sweats feel like passing out like numb all over shakes heart beats really fast then you feel better within 10 min
magical_lady76
on 4/2/13 5:12 am

I am pre-op for RNY awaiting insurance approval. I am a Type 2 diabetic for 6 years. I just wanted to comment on lows. When I get around (extremely rare) 75. I start sweating, shaking, rapid heart rate. I'm hoping that after surgery if this happens in the 70's that it will pass and maybe just be my body's reaction from not being this low.?? I think different people's lows are different situations for different people. The textbook is just a guideline. Lows do worry me. I know I won't die from 70's but the reaction is quite scary! I'm going to ask my Dr. about it.

AnniesSS
on 4/3/13 7:39 am
RNY on 09/11/12

I haven't had any lows and have felt great!  I'm hoping the same will happen with you :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 823 views