My mom needs your help...

Tonya E.
on 9/28/12 2:30 pm
 My mom has been helping me with each step of this very annoying process. Last Wednesday she accompanied me and my husband to the seminar. After leaving it she has commented several times she wouldn't mind having it done herslef.  However she is unsure if she is able to. That is where you guys come in. My mother is a type 1 Diabetic. She takes insulin with each meal and then again before bed time. Her fear is two fold. 1. If she would be able to have it at all, and 2. if she did, if she would be able to eat enough to maintain her sugars, and if she did get shaky if she would be able to eat enough to stable herself out again. 

Does anyone on here have type 1 and be willing to share with me, and her, how you are doing it? Or does anyone know if it is even possible?  
You are braver than you think, stronger than you believe, and more beautiful than you could ever imagine!     
funkyphillygirl
on 10/2/12 12:31 am
Yes, I am a Type 1 diabetic (really a combo of Type 1 and 2, but classified as Type 1) and had surgery in September 2011.  It is DEFINITELY POSSIBLE and can improve health dramatically.  I would be happy to answer any of her questions directly.

I do still use insulin, but my amounts are much smaller than they were a year ago and I get more out of it.  I'm off a number of oral meds as well with great lab results. 

Does your mom have an endocrinologist?  If so, she should discuss this with him/her.  If not, she needs to find someone with whom she can discuss this. 

Management through the post-surgery phase is a little bit tricky, but not at all impossble.  It requires frequent testing and likely a new regime for her insulin doses, but that's where it's important to have an endocrinologist to work with.  Also, when you are diabetic and in the hospital, you will be assigned an endocrinolgist who works closely with you on your management.

Once you get through the first few weeks after surgery, you are back to eating real food, albeit in small portions.  At a year out, I now eat about a cup of food per meal and it's easy to count carbs and dose accordingly  It's very, very doable.

Please do not be discouraged.  There are not a lot of type 1's who have had the surgery, but there really is no reason not to have it.  I am 55 years old, been diabetic for 26 years, am down about 75 pounds and thrilled that I did so. 

Please let me know how I can support you or your mom.  I am happy to answer questions based on my research and experience.
smukkkas
on 11/8/12 12:23 pm

if she would be able to eat enough to maintain her sugars, and if she did get shaky if she would be able to eat enough to stable herself out again. I'm going to add this link to the ones you might want to check out, too: [url=http://www.kktitular.tk] TREATMENT [/url] It does a nice job breaking down what exactly it is, what can cause it, how to deal with it, etc.

smukkkas
on 11/8/12 12:25 pm

I'm going to add this link to the ones you might want to check out, too: EAT It does a nice job breaking down what exactly it is, what can cause it, how to deal with it, etc.  
smukkkas
on 1/19/13 12:19 pm

if she would be able to eat enough to maintain her sugars, and if she did get shaky if she would be able to eat enough to stable herself out again. I'm going to add this link to the ones you might want to check out, too: TREATMENT It does a nice job breaking down what exactly it is, what can cause it, how to deal with it, etc.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 156 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 483 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views