sideline on diabetes - - copied from another forum

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 10/1/12 2:34 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12
 Well...I had every pre-op tests done.  Optifast handed over and it begins October 9th!!!  Time is starting to really fly.  It felt like I had ages and ages to get ready for all this and of course since I had ages to get ready well I did NOTHING!!!

The good news for me is that I'm allowed veggies during Opti...even with a tad of olive oil...so, I can eat soups and salads!!!  I'm no longer fearing the 2 weeks pre-op, actually looking forward to it since I've been really having a long and extended food funeral. (I know, I know.....but I had to do it!!!) 

The even better good news is that throughout this process and the 7 months of researching wls, I realized that some people with non obese bmi actually go through with wls surgery to relieve their diabetes. My husband has had diabetes for a few years and is really miserable with it.  We never thought that there was a thing he could do about it but now....wow, he may actually be able to cure it!!!  I CANNOT believe that this is not discussed more often as a course of action.  People don't even know this is possibe!!!

Anyhoo....now I only need to "keep calm and carry on" 

Nathalie

Looking forward to hear other people's story on this!
funkyphillygirl
on 10/2/12 12:34 am
Best of luck - reduction of medicine and normalization of blood sugars is definitely possible for Type 2 diabetics (not for Type 1's).  Health is the most important reason to have WLS, in my opinion. 
cleos_mom
on 10/2/12 9:34 am - phila., PA
 That is wonderful if I it does. I had WLS for my diabetes and it is better but. Sill take oral meds, which is good cause it makes me watch my carbs, it doesn't work for everyone it's a chance but anyway I m so glad I did it
Susan
funkyphillygirl
on 10/2/12 9:49 am
I think that is very positive news.  Watching carbs is a great idea for ANYONE who is post WLS, and especially for diabetics.  Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 157 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 484 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views