Diabetes Related Kidney Failure and Kidney Transplant?

Alese M.
on 10/7/12 7:48 am - FL
My nephrologist and my transplant surgeon have both told me they had several pts who have had successful kidney transplants....Two ppl on dialysis who had RNY surgeries....O, the txp pts had RNY.

I had a pancreas and kidney txp 9 yrs ago and am in good health.  However, I do need to lose lots of weight (43.0 BMI)...

I am considering the sleeve due to the absorption issue of the anti-rejection meds and the RNY and the sleeve.....

Anyone on this site who have had a txp and WLS?  Please let me know how you are doing.

alese
funkyphillygirl
on 10/16/12 12:37 am
Alese:
I don't have any experience with this, but certainly wish you the best on your journey.  I had trouble finding anyone with Type 1 diabetes who had WLS, so I imagine it will be even more difficult to find someone who has had a transplant.

Keep us posted on your journey - and best of luck to you!
Alese M.
on 10/16/12 7:23 am - FL
THANK YOU......ALESE
sweetcocomoangel
on 10/18/12 3:27 pm - Bay Minette, AL
I haven't had a transplant. But when I met with my dr he told me the sleeve would be the best option just in case my kidneys got worse down the line.  He said it was better because the meds would be better absorbed with the sleeve than the bypass.   Good luck. And keep me posted on how you do.  :-) 
Alese M.
on 10/19/12 10:19 am - FL
I agree with your doc as my doc suggested the sleeve as well.  I only knew about the RNY and Band and thx to this oh site I learned to steer away from the band...

Are you seeing a kidney doc?  Good, the doc will keep you healthy....But, your WLS should help also (meaning being thinner).  I take it your a diabetic too?

With my kidney failure and being a Type 1.5, I was eligible for a pancreas....However, it is a struggle to get donors that the txp teams only do Type 1 and 1.5 vs Type 2's.  One day that will change. 

OK good luck and I will keep you posted....

What is your name?

alese
R. Pike
on 10/26/12 12:11 pm - OH
VSG on 12/10/12

Alese,

I have had a kidney transplant...it will be 2 years in December...I am scheduled to have The Sleeve procedure on Dec. 10.

I am thrilled to find another person in my situation....I will be happy to communicate with you on my progress...at this point, I am working on preparing myself mentally, because this is for the rest of my life.  I have always had a poor metabolism problem but since transplant and diabetes and insulin after transplant...I cannot budge my weight...I am just happy I have not gained the 40 - 60 pounds they said I would gain after transplant...

Let's keep in touch....becky

Because of HIM...becky

Alese M.
on 10/26/12 3:24 pm - FL

Hi Becky...

We definitely must stay in touch...I am so happy you read my post....

You didn't develop diabetes after your txp?   I hope...I had a pancreas/kidney txp so have been diabetes free,,,,

I don't remember the doc ever saying I would gain all this weight and of course, when I go for my labs every two months, I see alot of ppl who are skinny.  I guess they were naturally skinny and know how to keep the weight off. 

My blood sugars are great but my A1C has gone up to 6.0....I have been eating....So now I must focus and get that down.

I just went to my pcp last week and he will send all the info to the surgeon who will inturn send it to Medicare....So now the wait begins for approval.....My pcp wanted me to try the new diet pill out because he is so conservative about having this surgery,  I want the surgery.  My kidney doc is sending a letter in for me too.

Did you have to have a blood test called H.Pylori IgG?  It is for stomach ulcers and the bacteria.  When my pcp had my labs drawn (he asks for add'l blood work that the txp labs don;t do) and he added the h.pylori which I wasn't concerned about.  I must have read it for those going to have surgery and some tests the surgeon wanted.  Well SHOCK, I was positive...Treatment is a combination of antibiotics to kill the bacteria...It won't affect my surgery but since I am doing the sleeve, I guess it could...Probably another delay. 

Ok Becky, I am off and will keep in touch.  I'll send you my email address on your website...

ttyl

alese

R. Pike
on 10/27/12 6:24 am - OH
VSG on 12/10/12

Hey Alese...great to hear  back from you...

Yes...I had that blood work done and mine came back negative...I can't believe the tests they have done...almost as bad as for a transplant...I did not have kidney failure from my diabetes...I had Polycystic Kidney Disease...I was on dialysis for 6 months and then my nephew came home from Iraq and gave me one of his kidneys....I was so blessed.

I had type 2 before surgery but very controlled...very minimal...but they warned me it would be much worse after transplant and bingo...they were right.   I think that is why the warning about weight gain...Insulins and amune suppressants...both cause weight gain and very low metabolism...that was all it took...I have struggled all my life to keep my weight somewhat under control...but now I have about 65 pounds to lose...

Where do you live...I live in the Akron, Ohio area and am having my procedure done at the Summa Bariatric Center with Dr. Zogafrakis....I guess he is pretty well known for The Sleeve.

Well it has been nice to find you...keep in touch.  I am hoping this is a good place to meet others in our situation.

Becky

Because of HIM...becky

Alese M.
on 11/13/12 5:44 am - FL

Hi Becky....

I am so sorry I haven't written sooner but I had a terrible reaction to the two antibiotics for the H. Pylori drugs that I was in the hospital for a week.  I just came home Sunday and trying to get myself back to normal...It has been a slow process.

The antibiotics I took almost blew out my kidney txp but now it is coming back.  That was the initial thinking by the ER but with an IV drip I am not as dehydrated as I was and the numbers are coming down.  If they didn't and went up I was at risk for kidney failure....My precious organs came back strong....

I live in a small city within a city called Lighthouse Point, FL.  We are a 5 minute bird's flight from the ocean but live on a canal surrounded by all kinds of large and small boats.  So pretty a view.  We don't have a boat anymore as my husband and I are older and have our disabilities and mine being the weight!!!

So that is it from me.

I want to put out a warning on this site for the H.P. difficulties I had so know one else will suffer with the drugs I took.  Got to read those warnings and interactions with other drugs.

Good to know I have another friend on this wonderful site.

Hugs, alese

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/12 6:17 pm

Most of the diabetic patients suffering from kidney problems. I think first we need kidney which is suitable to transplant. Kidney transplant costs to much. It is better to take health insurance plan.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 822 views