Quick answer please....Coffee, Coffee, Coffee

pattyjonichols
on 11/3/12 2:40 am

I'm currently on a 12 day pre-op diet.  I crave a cup of coffee EVERY morning, it is my motivation to get up and go.  I'm reading that it is NOT recommended after surgery. I cannot stand Decaf coffee at all.   Those who have had surgery can you tell me what your experience has been with coffee, no coffee after surgery and thereafter.

Thanks so much.

Patty Jo

Michigan

Patty Jo Nichols

a/k/a  PJ

funkyphillygirl
on 11/5/12 5:06 am

I don't drink coffee - can't stand the stuff.  They do recommend no caffeine for a period of time and then you can return.  Caffeine can be dehydrating and staying hydrated is a major task after surgery.  I'd ask about it, but it's likely you'll just need to do it for however long.

Remember it's certainly not forever, and taking direction in the early stages is key to long-term success.  I LOVED my diet coke - and couldn't imagine living without it ever.  I haven't had any for 14 months.  I still occasionally miss it, but am better off without it.

jmjm55077
on 11/26/12 10:39 pm - MN

Since starting drinking coffee at age 5 (now 59 yrs)...I'm not going to give it up...even though I've tried to...My doctor wants me to because the caffiene can cause dehydration in WLS folks...so...I now drink just one cup a day...often adding protein powder to it to up my intake of protein...but I off set it by drinking extra water during the day...He's happy as long as I don't show signs of becoming dehydrated...so allow yourself a cup...but then make sure you get additional water during the day to off set the caffiene...good luck!

jane   

neisie207
on 1/19/13 10:14 pm - Waterville, ME
RNY on 01/28/13

My Dr's office said no caffeine because it causes ulsars  .... Decaf is nasty .. There's NO POINT drinking coffee if you're not getting coffee LOL I TOO LOVE COFFEE !! I RUN ON DUNKIN' .... But I hadn't had coffee in a week because I am on the 2 week clear liquid diet before surgery .. But the MIGRAINES have been SOO BAD ! So I had a small coffee yesterday to rid the headache after pain reliever did nothing for it ...  My surgery is Jan 28th how about yours ?

cleos_mom
on 3/18/13 1:21 pm, edited 3/18/13 1:21 pm - phila., PA

I drink Dunking Donuts decaf, 

my husband swear he can tell the difference, 2 coffee canisters on the counter, 1 is labeled Decaf and his is labeled regular.they both have the same coffee DD decaf.

he has been drinking it for almost 6 years and doesn't know it

Susan

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 822 views