new to this forum but not this site...going BALD!!!!!!

marty69
on 11/14/12 2:06 am - MO
RNY on 06/06/12

Hi enlightened...  am a 43 year old female. I hade rny on june 6th and have my  type 2 diabetes. I was borderline before surgury (like 10 points away ) so my gp started me on metphormine(sp?). Senc surgury my nut has been after me to up mu carbs(wich for me is deadly on 2 counts . 1= I am a carb addict.  and 2= it sends my sugars thru the roof.)

Now on top off this my HAIR is falling out by the  HANDFULS!!!(literally). It is worst ont the top and front of my head. I have long hair, so I've been wearing it up in a bun for about 2 to 3 months now. but the front is gotten so bad I dont think that will be an option for more than another wk maybe 2. I have been playing it off till today...... but folks my hair has always been my 1 beauti and now it going,going, an almost gone...

A friend says its cause of the diabetes... I know part of it is cause of anastesia. ( I have been put under 3 times sence april of this year.) but the amount I have lost is truly CRAZY.

Do any of you have advice, encouragement ????  My protein intake is low I am still working on getting the 60 to 80 the tell me I need. ( I am a heavy weight and had bleeding comps.) Any thing is welcome and VERY BADLY NEEDED.

Thanks wls, rny, and diabetes friends...........

May We All be Blessed and Valued 

marty

funkyphillygirl
on 11/14/12 5:21 am

Marty - Sorry to hear this.  I have heard and read that it is NOT UNCOMMON for those post surgery to have mild to significant hair loss 3-6 months after WLS.  I have NEVER seen anything that links this to diabetes.  It's actually been linked to two things - not enough protein and the stress on the body of surgery.  I am surprised that your team did not prepare you for it or talk with you about how to address it.  How are you doing with your vitamins and supplements? 

I have seen people talk about taking rogaine or other drugs that stimulate hair growth again.  Typically, the hair loss issue lasts for a few months and then resolves.  So, I'd say talk to your surgeon and team about this because it is not at all unusual and they should be able to reassure you.  Akso, check the weight loss surgery threads on these boards, because I know I have seen info there about it also.  You are certainly not alone with this.

I am a type 1.5 (insulin dependent) diabetic and had RNY about 14 months ago.  I pushed back hard against the nutritionists who suggested more carbs.  I know how my body metabolizes, I count carbs, and I know what I can and can't manage.  So, I was fairly assertive about that part.  I sometimes found that the nutritionists had a bit of a "one size fits all" approach that just did not work for me.  So, if you need a different nutritional mix, tell them you do and ask them to help you.  Don't just accept that. As a diabetic, you have to manage that part of your needs.

Call the doc's office about your hair loss - and good luck.  Keep posting!

funkyphillygirl
on 11/14/12 1:28 pm

Marty:  I just re-read your message and see that you are struggling with protein intake.  I think that's a big part of your hair loss.    Your nutritionist should be able to help you with that - whatever it takes - shakes, protein shots - get that protein going!  If you are having trouble with food, I have found the protein shots that you can find in nutrition stores are helpful.  They don't taste great, but you typically get 30-50 grams in 2-3 ounces.  I would down 1-2 of those each day until you get more stable.  I also ate a lot of scrambled eggs in the first few months - and added some cheese.   That was a nice protein hit as well. 

Please investigate ways to get your protein up to where it needs to be EVERY DAY. That will help.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 822 views