T2D, 3 days post-op - High Sugars???

averagejoe72
on 12/6/12 9:42 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
RNY on 12/03/12

My sugars since surgery have been anywhere from 140 - 170, I don't get it???  My protein shakes have less than 1 gram of sugar, nothing else I'm having has sugar.  My doctor has me taking my R insulin on the low sliding scale (which is only 1 to 2 units).  Pre surgery I would take about 20 -30 units if my sugar was that high to get me down to 90 - 100 range.  I started taking more insulin because I think after 17 years of living with T2D I know how to control my sugar better than my surgeon.  I'm not worried about getting back in range, as I know how to control it with my insulin, but why are my sugars high???

HW: 338     CW: 216.8    GW: 195     RNY: 12/03/2012

Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible. ~Saint Francis of Assisi

funkyphillygirl
on 12/7/12 2:43 pm

It's likely some of the stress of surgery.  I don't know how far out you are from surgery, but you are probably consuming calories more frequently now since it's the only way to get all of your protein in.  Are you checking your carbs (and not just your sugar content)?  Carbs will elevate your blood sugar, so if you are having milk, soups, anything that has any carbs in it, that could be doing it also.  Also, 140-170 is not very high post surgery.  Most doctors with insulin dependent patients would rather you run a little bit higher after surgery so that you don't have to chase lows.  It's hard in the beginning after surgery to treat a low because of your reduced stomach capacity.  Give it some time and it will likely settle down, but I would be very careful that you don't take too much short acting insulin.

When was your surgery?

karenbean
on 12/16/12 2:51 am

the same thing has happened to me i was told the because  i have had t2d for so long 15 years and was taking alot of medication that is way suger levels are too high????? i put myself back on insulin and  waiting to see my doc

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/20/12 5:09 am

The body can convert proteins into sugars. Also - since your body is used to run on high sugar - it may still use stored sugars. 

You may need still some insulin for time being.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

alicemenezes
on 2/17/13 5:14 pm

But I have heard that bariatric obesity surgery generally cure type 2 diabetes? Do you mean that after surgery your sugar has increased?

funkyphillygirl
on 2/24/13 12:36 pm

Whether one achieves some measure of "cure" depends on many factors - including the type of surgery and the length of time someone has had diabetes.  Some say they never get "cured", only a "remission" for a period of time.  Generally, if someone has had T2D for more than about 10-12 years, the chances of cure decrease a great deal.  I have Type 1.5 (LADA) diabetes for 26 years and had RNY a year and a half ago.  No chance at a cure for me because of the type of diabetes I have, but I've had significant reduction in my insulin resistance. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 147 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 475 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 816 views