Vertical sleeve surgery

imthemama57
on 7/27/13 8:54 am - CA

I am 66 years old and have type 2 Diabetes and will be scheduled for surgery soon (vertical sleeve) I have done a lot of research on the different surgeries and I think the sleeve is best for me but I can not find that much information on Diabetes after surgery I would love to connect with people that are Diabetics and have had Vertical sleeve surgery . A friend told me about the site and I am looking forward to visiting and sharing  with others what I have learned and hope to learn from them . Thank Darlene Odell

jubilee333
on 7/27/13 1:42 pm

Hi Darlene, I have diabetes and had the sleeve done in Feb. My A1C was 9.8 before surgery and it is now 7.5 I still take my insulin 2x's a day and byetta 2 x's a day but I am on about 60% less insulin then before surgery. I have lost weight very slowly and I think it is from the insulin so I will be talking to my dr about taking me off of it and putting me on pills. I am hoping the further along I get the better my A!C will become. I can tell you that since surgery I feel much better not as tired as I was before. I wish you all the best-Julie  

imthemama57
on 7/30/13 4:46 pm - CA

Julie, Hope your steal feeling good and that your numbers have gone down . I am looking forward to life after surgery . I just want to live a normal life. I only have about 50 pounds to lose but I carry my weight in the worst place you can carry it (stomach). I have found a product that works well with belly fat . I have lost about 2 inches in my stomach since I started them about 3 weeks ago and my blood surgers are pretty good . I have done a lot of research on it . It is Garcinia Cambogia Dr Oz has talked about it on his show . Just google Garcinia Camogia and you can read about it  or better yet google Dr Oz then search Garcinia Camgogia . I have a lot of family members that are Diabetic ,I had 2 sisters that died at the age of 51 from diabetes so I know what the disease can do . I just hope this surgery helps me to to say good by to all the needles and pills . Thanks for responding to me ,I wish you the best and hope you get to your goal as soon as possible .Darlene

jubilee333
on 7/31/13 2:26 pm

Hi Darlene I wonder if I can take Garcinia after having the sleeve? I know that before I take anything other then tylenol I must ask my dr. I do feel much better I def have more energy!  I had 60 lbs to loose I have 22 more to go! Good luck lets stay in touch :) 

funkyphillygirl
on 7/30/13 2:45 am

Darlene - best of luck to you.  I had RNY 2 years ago and have Type 1.5 (LADA) diabetes.  Follow directions and you should do well!

imthemama57
on 7/30/13 4:12 pm - CA

Thanks for the reply I hope that it works for me ,I don't take that much insulin but I am only 50 pounds over weight but I carry my weight in the worst place (in my stomach ) I have been a diabetic for about 15 years I qualify for the surgery because I am a Diabetic and I have had stints placed 2 times . I am from a family of 13 children and about 7 of us are Diabetic . I have 2 sisters that died at the age of 51 because of Diabetes ,so that is why I am going to this extreme . I am looking forward to life after Diabetes . Hope you get where you want to be real soon . Let me know how you are doing .Take care

mokee
on 7/30/13 3:19 pm - OH
I am 66 also and am 8 months out. I have lost 78 lbs. I was on 150 units of insulin, 4 shos a day plus 2000 ml metforin. Now I take 30 units of insulin and still same metforin, 2 shots a day. Hopefully it will get better with more weight loss. I still want to lose 30 more lbs. Endo said I may have had diabetes too long. Had it for 20 yrs. been on insulin 3 yrs. they say diabetes goes into remission with the by-pass surgery. Something to think about.

VSG  12-28-2012

funkyphillygirl
on 8/2/13 12:56 pm

"Remission" is a really loose term here as is "cure".  For those who have had Type 2 diabetes for less than 10 years, they can go into remission, but some report a report of Type 2 diabetes after a few years.  For those who have been diabetic for more than 10 years, you likely will not experience much remission.  the weight loss, however, will improve insulin resistance and make you more insulin sensitive (if you still make insulin).  I am a Type 1.5 diabetic x 27 years (25 years at time of surgery), and knew that I would not be "cured", since I don't make much of my own insulin.  However, the weight loss has caused me to need much less insulin and to become more insulin sensitive to what I inject.  Like you, my injected insulin has decreased markedly and I know that I am in much better health.  That's the goal, right?

Congrats and best of luck to you!

lnettles1963
on 8/9/13 5:36 am
VSG on 07/12/13

I had/have  type 2 for about 12 years, started seeing my sugars change along with my diet before surgery, I was taking 2000mg metformin and Victoza. Before surgery I was able to reduce the Metformin, because my numbers were dropping with my food choices and my weight.

Since surgery 4 weeks ago, I have not taken either. My sugar were high in the hospital right after surgery and they gave me insulin, but after I came home on the liquid diet  I just monitored my sugars and did not take my meds.

After about two weeks post op, I started noticing my sugars dropping low, so I am having to watch very closely as I am not eating much. Saw my Dr on Wednesday who told me to make sure I am eating small amounts throughout the day instead of just three times a day which seems to be working.

It's kinda a pain, cause we already eat such small amounts anyway, but hey, if I never have to take those meds again I can deal with it!!!!!!  I love to see my meter read 83 and medicine free!!!!!

I hope this helps.

Congrats on your decision and Best Wishes!!!!

funkyphillygirl
on 8/9/13 7:43 am

Congrats - I hope that continues for you. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 153 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 481 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 822 views