Decision Time for Me!

MakeMeNew180
on 11/27/13 5:23 am

Greetings! I am a long term T2D taking 5 injections a day consisting of lantus, novolog & victoza. I have been a T2D 13 years, insulin dependent for 10. My surgeon is really pushing RNY, but I am hesitant that at the end of the day....I'll be taking insulin and having malabsorption issues. I know that my quality of life (less insulin with weight loss) will improve with either choice, but future issues concern me.  I am very interested in choices people made w/ similar cir****tances and their outcomes post-op. My final decision date is 12/13/13. Thank you in advance for sharing!

darlingdeb
on 12/5/13 2:38 am - OH

I just saw your post.  I am on the Insulin Pump and I had the RNY April 17th, 2012.  I have been a diabetic for 20 years and I knew going into the RNY Surgery that my chances of remission were slim.  My A1C before surgery was 12.4 and I had to have it down to 8.5 before they would do surgery.  I have lost 100 pounds and my A1C is around 7.5   I use to be on 100 to 120 units a day, I am now on 25 units a day.  Feel good and not on as much medication.  I was on Insulin, Symlin, and Metformin.  I am only on Insulin.  I did not go into remission but I am a lot better off today than I was.  I would do this all over again!!  I didn't hesitate to have the RNY and in fact I was a self pay my insurance would not cover.  I also had Sleep Apnea and that is gone with the weight loss.  I know this is a difficult decision and not one to take lightly but if you are asking me if I would do again - YES YES YES!!!          debbie

MakeMeNew180
on 12/5/13 4:05 am

First, thank you so much Debbie for responding to my post and sharing your experience! Like you, I don't think it is going to completely resolved, but a definite improvement in my quality of life and fewer injections! Congratulations on your weight loss and your A1C improvement!!! Your experience is encouraging!

Did you ever consider the sleeve as an option for WLS?  

darlingdeb
on 12/5/13 9:54 pm - OH

I did not know about the sleeve.  All I knew about was the RNY and Lap Band.  My daughter had the RNY 2 years before me and did very well so I just decided to go with RNY.  I did not know about this board before surgery so you have a huge advantage over me to be able to do some research on the different weight loss surgeries.     debbie

MakeMeNew180
on 12/6/13 9:28 am

Yes, thanks! And I am trying to use this resource to gain as much feedback as possible!  I can learn a great deal from the experiences shared here. Thank you again for sharing your insight w/ me!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 147 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 475 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 816 views