Resolving Diabetes

Amamarper
on 12/17/13 9:04 am, edited 12/17/13 9:05 am - KS

I am still in the process of getting approved by insurance, but I am getting close to the end. I had pretty much set my mind on getting the sleeve, but when I went to my Dr he informed me that the sleeve only has a 70% chance of resolving diabetes, while gastric bypass has a 98% chance. Controlling my diabetes is a huge reason I am having this surgery, so I am curious about others experiences with surgery.

Mary Catherine
on 12/19/13 12:40 am

When I was researching six years ago, the diabetes remission stats I was quoted were

DS – 95%

RNY – 78%

Lapband – 50%

The sleeve was not an option then.  Everyone is different.  How long the diabetes has been there, what medications were taken, how long insulin was used.  I had taken medicines that depleted my pancreas function and used insulin for about ten years.  I had no remission of diabetes with RNY.  There are no guarantees. 

Mimisocks
on 12/21/13 6:04 am - PA
RNY on 07/08/13

Hi,

I have not taken  Metformin since 3 days before my RNY surgery.  Possible remission from diabetic complications was one of the main factors why I chose that type of surgery over any other.  My A1c and bs are in a normal range for the first time in 2 years, so I feel good about my decision for WLS.

All the best to you as you seek the answers to help guide your decision!

Believe in yourself and don't ever stop dreaming!

AlmaDanks
on 1/13/14 6:08 am

I'm 2 weeks out of a  sleeve surgery. My diabetes has not gone into remission. But my doc is telling me that the diabeties might still go into remission. I feel fine, but have been told not to take any meds until my regular doctor sees me.

Alma Danks 

rumpole6
on 5/22/14 2:00 am

My Surgeon told me that the bypass and the sleeve were a lot closer (percentage wise) to resolving diabetes than your Dr. He also said there were a lot more bypasses out there than sleeves and expected the outcomes to get closer and closer over time. He also told me that they used to convert sleeves into bypasses for extremely obese people but they are finding there was no advantage to doing that.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 157 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 485 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 828 views