type 2 considering bypass

biggame510
on 1/12/14 1:41 am - bakersfield, CA

New to the form so forgive me if this has been posted in the past. I'm 46 male and type 2 diabetic. My weight flux between 230-245 and have been struggling to keep A1C down last one was 6.9 i think but it also flux between 7-8. I know the next one will be hi becouse i havent seen a good sugar in 2 months.

I'm looking for people who have had this surgery and the outcome they have had complications , ups, downs are u happy with the choice to get this done? would u recomend it to a friend or family member it seems like a big change in some ways but not in others 

My doctor recomends roux-en-y but ive been reading about doux switch also. I tend to work out in the gym between 3-6 days depending how busy i am at work and the hrs i put in. 

My doctor is recomending it to me because It would give me a good chance to reduce the amount of meds I take and maybe get off them all together plus the weight loss would be good. So any advice would b nice.

let me know your experience Im looking forward to here it thanks  BigGame510

specklepark
on 1/28/14 6:44 am - Minburn, Canada
RNY on 01/29/14

Hi, I am diabetic and having the RNY GB tomorrow for diabetes-my BMI is 30.  I will let you know my outcomes and if it improves my diabetes siuation.

specklepark
on 2/8/14 1:39 pm - Minburn, Canada
RNY on 01/29/14

Hi I had my RNYGB on Jan 29th  in Edmonton and it was a rough week but have got thru it.  Amazingly my blood sugars are close to normal or normal now- still taking small amount of insulin and average Metformin but this is DRASTICALLY down from pre-surgery.  I have been able to eat a full fluid diet and get most of my protein requirements in with protein supplements.  I have lost 15 lbs already too, although I think my weight loss better slow down here or I will loose all the weight I need to loose within a month of surgery!  I feel more energy and vibrancy already, just one week post op.  I think this surgery will be my miracle, but need time to tell for sure!

aperry1963
on 4/8/14 7:16 am

Thanks for sharing your story. How have you been feeling since February. Are you pleased with the results of your procedure thus far?

comtngirl
on 11/13/17 9:52 am

Hi I'm considering RNY and saw your post from a few years ago. So how are you doing? Was it worth it? Have you kept the weight off and has it been a hard transition? Do you eat normal foods? Thanks for your help!

Qajohn
on 2/10/14 12:37 pm - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

I had my surgery about three weeks ago. I had a pre-op physical where my A1c was about 7.4, with fasting BG of ~175 each morning. I was taking metformin (500 mg), glipizide and Invokana. I stopped taling the glipizide one week into my three week pre-op diet, and stopped the metformin and invokana 3 days before surgery. I just had my first lab work post surgery, and my A1c has dropped to 5.7 and my average fasting glucose has been between 85 - 90 every morning. I know that given another three months my A1c will come down even more.

I also stopped taking my blood pressure med, and today my blood pressure was normal. I stopped taking Lipitor for cholesteral and triglycerides, and they were normal also.

For me, the surgery has been very successful in allowing me to stop taking meds and if this continues, my health will be drastically improved in the long run. 

specklepark
on 4/10/14 12:00 am - Minburn, Canada
RNY on 01/29/14

An update...had my rny for diabetes Jan 29/14.  Was doing excellent the first while but now my sugars are becoming a bit more unstable- still much improved since before my surgery and my A1c is down.  I have had a hard time with eating and drinking though so this is a factor if you consider this surgery, I wish I had known a bit more about the after effects which I know are individual so may not effect everyone.

Would I do it again, yes for the diabetes but I would demand more answers from them before the surgery and not wait to see what happens...told me that I was the first one to get it for diabetes alone at the clinic I went too.  Thinking back I may have went to another facility in the world where they do surgeries for diabetes and have results or got info from drs and pts there BEFORE going for mine.

rransom66
on 6/5/14 9:05 am

That is FANTASTIC! Congratulations!

Qajohn
on 6/6/14 5:14 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

At 4 months, my A1c is now 4.8 and my fasting glucose is always between 85 and 90. I'm pretty happy so far. 

rransom66
on 6/6/14 4:22 pm

That is GREAT!  What wonderful numbers! Keep up the good work!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 822 views