High sugars after rny

mybabetwo
on 8/22/14 7:52 pm
RNY on 08/18/14

I had the Rny on 8/18/14. my blood sugars have averaged over 260  since my two week all liquid diet. I was on four shots a day plus 1000 metformin 2x a day. Now my endo has me taking just 20 units of Lantis at night. She is aware of my high blood sugars . my starting weight was 279 and currently it's 263. I need a little encouragement that things will get better. my sugars were high in the hospital too. I am following the Post diet . I'm averaging aprox 12 total carbs a day. any suggestions are welcome . Thanks.

emckechnie
on 8/27/14 12:09 pm - West Sacramento, CA

My best advice is to drink lots more water to flush your system, take in more protein and move more. Exercise if you can (i.e. walking or stationary bike). If you're on protein drinks, try to find a low-carb option. If you are mixing a powder, mix with almond milk, which has very few carbs. The 20 units of Lantus doesn't seem like enough. Mine is up to 60 and I've got good fasting sugars. You really need to talk to her about that. High sugars are going to slow down your healing and you need to heal up well. Or talk to your bariatric clinic about this.

DanaDenise
on 6/30/15 11:34 pm

I realize that this post was from a year ago, but thought some people may have the same question and check this out.  My sugar was high in the hospital, but I was still told to reduce my meds when I went home.  My blood sugars were still a little high for the first two weeks after surgery, but dropped considerable in weeks 3 and 4.  This morning my fasting sugar108!  I was averaging high high 200s and sometimes went into the high 300s just two months ago.  I was on 1500 mg/day of Metformin as well as Glipizide twice a day. We stopped the glipizide immediately following surgery, and gradually decreased the Metformin. The physician's assistant wants me try to go off meds next week to see how I do.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 157 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 485 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 828 views