Neuropathy

Lemise
on 11/1/14 8:37 am

I was wondering if anyone with type II DM, had neuropathy prior to gastric bypass and their neuropathy resolved when their DM II did after surgery. Did anyone experience this?

thanks

Lemise

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/14/14 10:42 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I had the beginnings of neuropathy in my feet before surgery.  It has resolved.  I was also on insulin and metformin.  I no longer need either.  I hope this helps.  Feel free to ask anything if I can help.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

ebonymc
on 12/21/14 2:36 am

I don't have an answer but I wanted to know the same thing. I am having problems with pain in my feet especially upon standing on them in the A.M.  I am considered a light weight but will get the surgery in hopes of it helping me with my diabetes. I take metformin as well. @ Katherine, I would love to get as much info as possible.  

hookrobert24
on 12/26/14 1:58 pm

Post gastric bypass 4 months prior to admission presented with 2 weeks of numbness and weakness in lower extremities requiring me to use a walker at home to ambulate. Also noted vomiting 2-3 times per day since bypass.

hookrobert24
on 12/26/14 2:01 pm
Vanessap58
on 3/8/15 3:32 am

I am three months post-op and unfortunately for me, my neuropathy has not gone away. I have suffered from it for ten years, so that may be the problem. About a year before my surgery I was put on insulin injections and I am still on Humalog and Levemir, though at lower doses than before surgery. I was taken off Metformin immediately following surgery, plus other meds like Lisinopril and Lipitor. I do feel that my neuropathy has gotten much worse since the operation. Before, I was taking 800mg of Gabapentin 4 times a day and now I have to also take Percocet 7.5 four times a day just to make the pain tolerable, especially at night when it seems to be at its worst.

katladee
on 8/20/15 4:00 pm

What type of WLS did you have?  From what I have read it is suggested to have the bypass to resolve the diabetes, but I'd rather do the sleeve.  I have had neuropathy in both feet for about two years.  Thanks for your help!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 823 views