What was your a1c before WLS?

Kiki1182
on 4/27/17 10:45 pm
RNY on 11/09/17

Hi, I'm just wondering if you've had your surgery yet and how you're doing? I'm planning to have surgery, hopefully in July. My last a1c was 9.7 and that was a month ago but I'm currently on meds and I wasn't then for over 6 months. My surgeon said that I may not get down to 8 but as long as it's improving I'll be able to get the surgery as planned.

NickysMom
on 4/28/17 6:05 am
RNY on 03/06/17

Hello. Yes, I had my surgery on 3/6/17 and I am doing well. The last time my a1c was checked was a few days before surgery during the pre-op testing and it was down to 7.5. I was very happy with that. I was taking Amaryl, Metformin, insulin at bedtime and a weekly injection of Trulicity. The day after surgery when I was discharged, they took me off everything. I was shocked. But a few weeks later after starting soft foods, I noticed my numbers started to go up again. I followed up with my endocrinologist and she started me back on Amaryl but 1/2 the dose. So that's where I'm at now. I don't have my a1c rechecked again until the end of June. I'm feeling really good though and happy to be off of most of my meds. My surgeon was pretty easy going about it all too... he said he likes it to be below 8 but it doesn't HAVE to be. I was able to get my endo dr to write a letter to the surgeon saying that I had been checking my sugars a few times a day and the numbers were all under 180 so that was enough for them to approve me for the surgery. I hope this helps you - good luck to you and keep in touch :)

~ Kristen ~ RNY 03/06/17

HW 405 (in 2009) Pre-op 326 SW 311 CW 226

Kiki1182
on 4/28/17 6:57 am
RNY on 11/09/17

Glad to see that everything is working out for you and that you had your surgery! I can't wait to have mine! I've been trying to get this done for a few years now and something ends up throwing me off every time! Im determined not to let that happen again! I will be having surgery this year! I will definitely keep in touch!

Lishamc1
on 8/22/17 8:54 pm

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 6 years ago. Since then I have been diagnosed with several comorbitidies. About 4 months ago my a1c was 7.3 and was started on lantus insulin at night. My last a1c was 6.8. I meet with my surgeon tomorrow to follow up with my EGD results and surgery date. I have heard from a lot that after surgery they no longer take meds but the longer your diabetic you are less likely to get off the medication. I do have several questions for my surgeon. I'm 28 years old and want to be healthy again and I want to be able to have childeren. (Husband and I have been trying for the last 3 year's) fingers crossed!!!!!!

NickysMom
on 8/23/17 4:44 am
RNY on 03/06/17

Good luck to you! One of my main reasons for having the surgery was to control my diabetes and to get healthy as well. I never thought I would be able to have children but I was blessed with my son almost 5 years ago and he is my reason for living!! I am almost 6 months out from surgery and I am back on Metformin for my diabetes. I try not to dwell on the fact that most people don't have to take any meds for it anymore, I just look at like I am doing what I need to do to keep my numbers down. Hopefully I won't be on it for the rest of my life. I'm sure you will do great, just follow your doctors plans!

~ Kristen ~ RNY 03/06/17

HW 405 (in 2009) Pre-op 326 SW 311 CW 226

Busman20
on 8/23/17 2:30 pm
VSG on 07/19/17

I had the sleeve 5 weeks ago today and my a1c was 10. My surgeon never mentioned it during our conversations other than to suggest that my diabetes would likely disappear along with the weight. I was on two needle insulins up until surgery and have not needed either since the morning of surgery, but I am still on metformin for now.

dorothy1110
on 9/16/17 8:04 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

My January A1C was 9.2 my August one was 5.5 I don't get my next A1****il November. I was never told anything about what my A1C had to at before surgery. I was taking Novolog 30 units 3 times a day with meals. I also was taken Novolin N 55 units in morning and 30 units at night. I came home taken 30 units of Novolog at meals again and Lantus 10 units a day. I currently am 10 days post-op and now am taken only Novolog 15 units in morning only.

Laura A.
on 3/31/18 7:41 pm - Portland, OR
RNY on 06/06/19

Hello everyone,

This is my first post also. I will not be getting my surgery until this fall, because I have an insurance-mandated wait period. I have not met my surgeon yet, but twice I have been told that the team would 'like to see' my A1C below 9.0 before my surgery. My last A1C was 10.2, down from previous readings. I am on 130U of Lantus in the morning, and titrated doses of Humalog (usually 15-40 units). Despite this, I am struggling to get down to 9.

Laura

With the OHSU Bariatrics team in Portland, OR.

5' 6" , 41YO, HW 320, SW 295.4, LW 147, CW 163, RNY 6/6/19, Dr. Jay Jan @LWDI

Tatblessed
on 4/4/18 10:22 am
VSG on 01/25/18

My A1c was 14 yes it was really high but they still allowed me to have the surgery and I almost lost my life because of it a week after surgery I went into DKA

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 157 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 484 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views