Why is it so hard losing weight being a diabetic?!

Lovechild76
on 2/21/18 8:24 pm

I've been a diabetic now for six years now, also along with other health issues, such as high blood pressure, and high cholestorol. i try my hardest to lose weight to be more healthy, and eventually get off my medications, but for some reason it's just so hard for me to lose weight and i don't understand why. i excercise, i've change how i eat, so now i just don't know. i had a doctor's appointment today, and now she's recommending that i have the bariatric surgery, before my health get any worse. any suggestions out there that may help?

Melody P.
on 2/24/18 6:36 pm - Amarillo, TX

I don't know what medications you take but a lot of them cause us to retain or gain weight. I am on five shots a day of insulin and it definitely makes the weight hard to lose along with metformin. I also take some other meds that can do that too. I am Bi-Polar as well as a type 2 diabetic. I have borderline to high blood pressure.

I so feel where you are coming from! I have tried over and over to lose weight and it just sits at the same or fluctuates 10 pounds up or down. It is so frustrating. Maddening even. It feels like we are hitting our heads against a brick wall!

My best advice is to never give up! I've also been reading a lot....A WHOLE LOT! Don't be afraid to ask questions here and the General discussion forum. Everyone here is very helpful!

Sunshine16
on 4/25/18 2:20 pm

Hey lady, sorry for the lack of response. But what decision did you make? I have PCOS, with diabetics side effects that sometimes turn into full blown. It sucks, question is your cycle heavy or rough?

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

JustMe1960
on 6/24/18 6:32 pm - Cleveland, OH

I hear ya; I'm in the same boat. I've managed to bring down my H1AC to 7.1, only to have it shoot up again to 9.0 six months later. And that's with a change in diet and exercise everyday (at least 40 minutes of walking). My insurance company (Medical Mutual) is all for me having bariatric surgery, which makes me think that it would be a big benefit for my health. Insurance companies normally don't like parting with their cash, you know? But I'm still so torn about it all. The surgery seems so drastic, and the lifestyle change so enormous that I'm not sure if I can do it. Plus, all the potential complications. I don't know, it's just hard right now to figure this all out. Are you thinking about having the surgery?

danmarc
on 10/29/18 7:50 am

Despite your concerns, you still look fabulous. I think attitude has a big role in it. You have a positive mindset and that will be your strength along the way.

mangoo
on 10/30/18 6:15 am - NY

A diabetes diet structured with three or more small meals daily is better than a diet plan that includes only one or two big meals. Large meals can cause blood sugar levels to surge, while eating smaller meals more frequently will help keep glucose levels lower after eating. Plus, a diabetes diet consisting of mini-meals spread through the day will help control hunger and calorie intake, possibly leading to faster weight loss.

Did you try to eat small portions but on a regular basis?

TracyH968
on 3/6/19 6:21 pm

My doc has told me for years that when your blood sugar is stable, you gain or retain weight. When your blood sugars are out of control, you lose weight. It's like a catch 22. You can't win.

heleneK
on 3/13/19 9:34 am

Diabetes is caused by a high fat diet, especially from animal products and oils. The fat clogs up the cells so there's insulin resistance.

The Physicians Committe for Responsible Medicine recommends a low-fat plant based diet to prevent, manage or reverse Type 2 Diabetes. For more info, see their site: https://www.pcrm.org/health-topics/diabetes

And because plants do not have cholesterol, it will also lower your cholesterol levels.

Also, research studies show animal proteins make people can weight in comparison to people eating the same exact amount of calories as plant proteins. (my guess is that it is the growth hormones in animal products)

As for weight gain on the body, it is usually caused by too many calories or sugar. You can also gain weight if your digestive system is not working correctly. I take a probiotic and take digestive enzymes.

As for high blood pressure, that can be caused by a heavier weight on the body. For each pound of fat, the body makes a mile of blood vessels...which can put a strain on the body. And ginger has been shown to lower blood pressure similar to a popular blood pressure medication.

By the way, I have done fasts and have lost 2 lbs a day. So I would recommend reading about fasting too.

jmk187
on 8/15/19 3:37 am
VSG on 02/13/19

I was losing the diabetic battle for 7 years. Doctors love to Rx meds for it. seems every 6 months i was put on another med for it. At one point I was on insulin shots and another shot..along with 2 oral meds. One of which was farxiga ..which made me spill sugar in the urine..(i dont recommend..caused me to have yeast infections) Anyways for most of my adult life I was able to lose lots weight relatively easy. I would gain it back just as easy too. But never did i have a problem following any diet plan and losing weight. Then i got diagnosed with diabetes and it seemed as each year went by it got harder and harder to lose weight. Until finally this year I would only lose about 2lbs in a month when before i would be able to lose 15-20lbs in a month. It's very demoralizing and for sure caused me to get fed up and turn to food. My A1C would be really good for about 6 months of the year and then I would get frusturated and go back to my old eating habits and my A1C would shoot right back up the other 6 months of the year. yoyo-ing the 7 range to the 11 range for my A1C. All while being on meds that still made me feel like sht and put me in a false sense of reality. Finally i made the decision to get weight loss surgery in september of 2018. Best decision I ever made. They say if you have Diabetes that the RNY is the better surgery. I was not comfortable with it though. So I chose the VSG. My diabetes is cured but its cured because of my diet..not the surgery. I can live with that though. I told myself 3 months before the surgery That if I did nothing else..Surgery or not..I was going to get this diabetes in check through my diet. And I did. Before the surgery I got my A1C down from the High 10s to 6.2. Last time I had my A1C checked in February I was at 5.7 It took me 7 years to finally cut the refined carbs and sugar...But i did it. I still have lasting effects from my uncontrolled diabetes for 7 years. My feet are burning right now as i type this. (nephropathy) And I am spilling protein in my urine all the time which scares me. I dont want to end up in kidney failure.

My advice to type 2 diabetics is get it under control. You dont want to end up on dialysis..Or kidney failure..Lose limbs or your eyesight. Dont trust those meds that the commercials advertise relentlessly. The same meds your doctors most likely get a kickback for Rxing to their patients so they can pay for that next vacation or new house renovation. The same meds that make us believe we can eat more carbs than we should..and put us in a false sense of reality. The same meds that make us not be able to lose weight.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 147 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 475 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 816 views