My friend has succumbed!!:'(

Linda W.
on 2/21/04 12:03 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I'm so heartbroken and still in shock! My closest friend for many years died today at 48 from complications of her diabetes. Still so young! She had such a zest for life, was a staunch Christian and didn't let her type I diabetes slow her down. She helped me to deal when I was diagnosed 13 yrs ago. I thought if she could have such a full, rich life, then this wasn't a sentence of doom for me either. I've known her for 19 yrs and though she was diagnosed at age 13, she didn't start showing devastating complications until the last 3-4 yrs. She's had many surgeries on her feet and had her small toes amputated, but she was still kicking. A few weeks ago she called and told me she had to have open heart surgery immediately and get her foot operated on again. I didn't think anything of the foot surgery because she's done it many times before, but the heart thing knocked me for a loop. She went in for the foot surgery first because she was hesitant about the heart surgery. The hesitation was a mistake. They ended up amputating half her leg and while she was in the hospital she went into cardiac arrest, then a coma, and past away this morning. Diabetes is such a cruel disease. We are so lucky to have type II where there is a chance to overcome it with lifestyle modification. Wishes of health to all *****ad this.
boemary
on 2/23/04 5:02 pm - Ocala, FL
I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend, she isnt in any pain now, i m also type 2 diabetic and it is the second most important thing to me on my get rid of list, it has brought me to have wls because i am sick of sticking needles in me 3x a day...God Bless you and your dear friend!
Natalia D.
on 3/4/04 2:47 am - Marietta, GA
I am sooooooo sorry to hear about your friend. I know it had to be a sad event. I have lost quite a few family members due to Diabetes.I don't know what type it was but considering that diabetes is in both sides of my immediate family, i know its something that i have to be careful about or watch for. I already know that i am borderline. One of the family members who died of diabetes was my grandmother. Why is it that once a major part of the body is amputated, they die shortly afterwards. My grandmother's leg was amputated and she died right after (similar case to your friend) this happened about 4 1/2 years ago and i am still morning my grandmother's death. Her and i were very close. I never took diabetes seriously until recently. I never knew how dangerous it is. Weird, just last nite i had a dream about her and i was crying once more. Just think, they are in a happier place right now and no longer suffering nor having to go through painful surgeries.
elaine B.
on 7/12/04 4:17 am - nashville, TN
Linda, I am so sorry for your lost, and even though I am new to the board, i just decided to go to the diabetes forum and yours was the first profile that I read. Again, i am so sorry for your lost, yes, 48 is awfully young, I am 52 and even though I am morbidly obese I am told that I do not look my age. I have never taken my diabetes seriously, until recently, and I realize I need to stop playing russion roulette with my health, I have recently been diagnosed with congestive heart failure, and osteoarthritis, even though I have had the arthritis for some time it has only begun to become extremely painful as I have put on more weight in the last 2 years, And it is very hard for me to continue to be mobile. I have finally decided to go ahead and have the surgery and have had my consultation with the DR. on friday 7/9. I went for some lab work and now I am waiting to have an echocardiagram and stress thallium. I have finally gotten to the point where i am sick and tired of being sick and tired.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 157 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 484 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views