Type 1 Diabetes anyone?

Corey H.
on 3/22/04 1:17 pm - Dallas, TX
Does anyone have type 1 diabetes that has had the surgery? I am 21 and am thinking of having the surgery, but I've only heard about people with type 2 diabetes....help anyone??? Thanks
nefish
on 3/23/04 5:56 am - Rockport, TX
I met a lady at our support group that is type 1 and she was on 4 shots a day of insulin for over 12 years and was off all insulin with in 2 months post op. Nancy
Jennifer P.
on 3/31/04 10:38 am - Wichita, KS
I am 39 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for 31 years. I am scheduled to have this surgery May 27 and am looking for the same kind of info you are. For the person that wrote a reply claiming that a type 1 diabetic was on 4 shots a day and 2 months after surgery is completely off of insulin shots; that person could not possibly have had type 1 diabetes but instead was a type 2. In type 1's the insulin making cells are completely destroyed by your own body. Therefore the type 1 diabetic must always take inulin artifically (by injection) for life. Sorry to burst a bubble but I wouldn't want you getting your hopes up.
edtjmc
on 5/20/04 5:25 am - Houston, TX
I am Type 1, and had the surgery Dec. 15. I'm 5 months out and have lost 50 pounds. That's slower than usual, because of taking insulin, according to my endocrinologist. But I am steadily losing, and am thrilled. HOWEVER, I almost died a week after surgery. I had to go back in the hospital for 7 days, 5 of them in ICU. I spent Christmas in ICU. I was the first Type 1 my surgeon had performed the surgery on. He gave me the same post-op instructions as for Type 2s. We both quckly found out that you can't tell a Type 1 to give up all carbs for the first 2 weeks. I went into diabetic ketoacidosis, and almost went into a diabetic coma. I could feel my organs shutting down one by one. One wonderful doctor stayed by my bedside for 36 hours the first 2 days I was back in the hospital. As soon as I began to get glucose in my system, I began to improve. Despite all the problems, I would have the surgery again in a flash!
Michelle L.
on 8/10/04 2:27 am - Waltham, MA
Hi Corey, I have type 1 diabetes and I'm about 10 weeks post-op. I was also the first type 1 that my surgeon had operated on and quickly, (~5 days after I got home), got sick. Went to the ER, couldn't find anything wrong with me, filled me with fluids and sent me home. About a week later, the same thing happened and we figured out that I was slipping in and out of ketoacidosis, (very dangerous and could have killed me)! Needless to say, I'm fine now and would have the surgery again in a heartbeat. Just be aware that you're different, (I'm sure you already know that , and you have to get glucose and carbs, even if your doctor doesn't think so. Good luck Michelle
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 156 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 483 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views