Need help with insulin situation

Scherlie D.
on 5/3/04 3:45 am - Bluffton, SC
Have been on 55 U Lantus each evening. Since surgery was scheduled for May 19, I have been trying to eat better and exercise more to decrease my insulin needs. Have cut back to 40 U, and still experience low blood sugars about 4 hours after breakfast....Fasting blood sugars are running 110 to 126. Now I have to go to dr on Thursday for a gallbladder ultrasound, and pre-op lab work. Am supposed to be NPO after midnight. Don't know what to do about my evening insuliin...talked to PCM, and he doesn't have an answer for me either. I could be without food until noon, and am fearful of a hypoglycemic reaction. At the same time, I am not sure about deleting the evening dose completely. I am also on Glucovance 5/500 twice a day. Has anyone out there experienced this?
Val B.
on 5/5/04 10:31 am - Burleson, TX
We need insulin in our bodies because we can't use what we have in the right way. When I know that I will be without food for a while, like in your case, I don't take my shot and cut back on my oral. You should always carry some glucose pills in your pocket. You can get these at the pharmacy. Hope this helps, I went through a sim situation a few months and thought I was going to bottom out. LMK how it goes. Pops
fuchia60
on 5/7/04 7:45 am - LaPlata, MD
My surgeon told me to take 1/3 dose of insulin on the day I had to have my preop bowel preparation (no food, jus****er). I had juice ready to use in case I had a low blood sugar reaction (which i also tend to do). Everything went fine. On the day of surgery, I took NO insulin but did take my heart meds ... I was scheduled for noon. Everything went fine; they put me on a different insulin regime in hospital and gave me insulin as they felt I needed it. Do you have a sick day regime? That's what I followed after my surgery when i was on liquids only. When I checked with my endocri., he cut me further back ... to 1/3 Lantus dose and no novolog. Hope this info helps.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 823 views