Type I diabetic having second thoughts

Lucy K.
on 6/11/04 9:27 am - Aberdeen, NJ
Hi group! I have my first meeting with a surgeon on 6/28/04. I have been a diabetic since the age of 15 (18 years ago!) and have decided on WLS. This is my dilema...I am petrified of dying from this surgery. My endocrinologist told me that I only need to lose 40 pounds to have any "health benefits" from weight loss, and any further weight loss would be for "cosmetic purposes." That being the case, he doesn't feel that WLS is best for me (2 other doctors that I trust very much DO support my decision because I weigh close to 300 pounds! I realize that ANY weight loss is good for a person, but, I think I have substantially more than 40 pounds to drop!) I have been reading stories about type I diabetics (who will ALWAYS need insulin, no matter how skinny they get) going into diabetic comas and having problems with diabetic ketoacidosis from too much protein and not enough carbohydrates. I have been told to write letters to my two children (ages 3 and 5) to be opened upon my death asking them to forgive mommy for killing herself! I am having a nervous breakdown! As a diabetic, I've spent the last 18 years trying to avoid organ (especially the kidneys) damage, but, I see that this surgery might damage the kidneys due to high protein intake. Now, I know I have to discuss this with my surgeon, but, because my endocrinologist is hesitant, I am beginning to fear for my life. His exact words to me were "If you decide to do it, I will support you, but, just so you know, I'm not pushing you through the door." What the hell? Are there any type 1 diabetics who've had a horrible experience with WLS? I am a bundle of nerves. Help! Thanks!
Carol-from-NJ
on 7/27/04 1:43 am - River Edge, NJ
Dear Lucy, I wish I had found this forum earlier. I am a type 1 diabetic too and had the gastric bypass on June 17th, the biggest mistake of my life. I have had super severe complications and have been hospitalized 4 out of 6 weeks. Not enough is known about type 1 and wls. Before the surgery I had never been hospitalized and had NEVER had a problem controlling my blood sugar, now everything has changed. I really wish that I had not made this decision. Good luck to you, I would NOT encourage any type 1 diabetic to have this operation until more research is done and the surgical communities , endocronologists, and nutritionists can come up with something. I have no idea how much weight I have lost because I have been too sick to care.
Lucy K.
on 7/27/04 8:51 am - Aberdeen, NJ
Carol: I am so sorry to hear about all the complications you are having. I have reconsidered bypass surgery and have come to the agreement with my endocrinologist that lap-banding is the safest WLS for me. I am still worried about complications, but, less so than if I had to have intestines cut. I am fighting with my insurance company for coverage, but, need to do something. Diets don't work. As soon as I have a successful day of dieting, my blood sugar crashes and I have to eat like a pig to prevent myself from passing out. I have been on an insulin pump, and, it helps somewhat, but, it is an up and down thing. Horrible. Diabetes makes things so difficult. I hate to complain, but, even having a simple cold can screw you up for a month. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with me. I appreciate your input and will definitely keep it in mind when making my final decision. I hope you feel better soon. Please take care of yourself. Lucy
Lucy K.
on 7/27/04 8:55 am - Aberdeen, NJ
Carol: Who was your surgeon? Your profile doesn't indicate. Please respond. Lucy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 156 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 483 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views