Does insulin hurt weight loss?

lizz M.
on 8/14/04 9:10 am - lantana, FL
Hi I was on diabetic pills before WLS and they put me on insulin right after surgery. This was a new doctor and she never offered me pills. I have always lost weight pretty fast but of course gained it back(my fault), now I had the surgery and am hardly losing a pound a week. This is eating 500 calories a day of protein. The only thing different is the insulin. Does anyone know how insulin effects weight loss?? lizz
Kathryn B.
on 8/14/04 9:39 am - Garland, TX
I have been on insulin for six years with Type 2 diabetes. I have gained 70 pounds, much of which I hope to lose with the Lap-Band. I blame some of that gain on the insulin. My PCP has said the insulin will slow the post band weight loss. I expect my current dose of 130 units Humulin R to go down significantly after the banding. That should help the weight loss but it will never be as good as it would be without insulin. But diabetics do succeed at WLS. Kathy B. 311/311/140
peolanewhope
on 8/16/04 9:03 am - Detroit, MI
Hi Lizz, I can tell you from being a 9 year type 2 diabetic insulin depended that I have gain over 100 pounds through the years. I think that insulin makes you gain weight and the weight that you gain is hard to take off. I'm starting at the begining of getting my surgery so, I'll have to let you know about the effects after surgery.Make sure you see you doctor to see if you need to be taken off completely. I wish you luck.
Joy M.
on 8/18/04 1:10 am - Chesapeake Beach, MD
Hi I have been a type 2 diabetic for 20 yrs. I am also a RN. I have taken insulin for the last 15yrs. Yes insulin does make it hard for you to lose weight. I had a rny on July13th, & I have lost 25lbs. So you can lose, yeah !!! I also have reduced my insulin intake by more than 1/2. Some diabetics can come off their insulin all together, & practually can be symptom free. Of course diabetes can not be cured yet, but WLS can significantly improve it. Joy
Tamara R.
on 8/18/04 9:28 pm - Ft. White, Fl
Hi Lizz, I am type 2 diabetic, was on oral meds for 8yrs, and on insulin with oral meds for 2yrs. After being put on insulin, I could not lose weight! WLS took care of all of that! The doctor wanted me to continue oral meds, but my primary doctor took me off after just 2 weeks, and I no longer need any meds for anything. Watch your sugar readings, make sure they don't drop to low. Tamara
fuchia60
on 8/24/04 10:57 am - LaPlata, MD
Hi Lizz! I'm a diabetic type II, who after being put on insullin two years ago gained an additional 68 pounds! On top of that I started experiencing swelling of my feet and then right leg to almost triple in size; the third time my leg swelled, my PCP sent me to the hospital to check for clots; this was followed by painful neuropathy (and more meds ). After my lap-band surgery (4/15/04), I have lost 38 lbs ... but now I've platued. I think I need to exercise more ... Right after surgery I was on a small amount of insulin; which has gradually increased, and changed, as I've gone through the different eating stages (i.e., liquids, pureed foods, soft, regular). I'm back on Lantus and Novolog, but much smaller doses. It's a real balancing act, but it can be done. Stay focused. We're all rooting for you ... and ourselves!!! Judy G.
Bonnie R.
on 8/27/04 1:28 am - Springfield, MA
HI, I have been a diabetic for years. On the pills I had lost nearly 100 lbs and then I had to go on insulin and gained it all back. I do not believe I am eating any differently. I have surgery scheduled for October and hope that it will get rid of this weight finally. Bonnie
baddgurrl
on 9/18/04 6:34 am - Chino Valley, AZ
My large amount of insulin intake they said was keeping me from losing weight pre-surgery , and understanding the way that insulin works I am sure that they are right. BUT I think I have had decent weight loss post surgery and I am still taking insulin, not in the same amounts ( thank goodness) but I have lost 87 lbs in 5 months. So perhaps that is slower than it would have been without the insulin, but I am very happy with it and believe that I would not have lost ANY weight without the surgery ,no matter how restricted the caloric intake would be.
sweettonya
on 10/28/04 11:03 am - Butler, Ga
Hey, Lizz! I have been a type ll diabetic for 14 years. Took oral meds for the first 6 years. Have been on insulin the past 8. As you know your pancreas produces insulin. It is a natural occuring hormone. Many people don't know that insulin is also a hormone that stores fat. So, yes, insulin does slow your weight loss down signifacantly. I can relate to your story 100%. I am currently on Lantus and Novolog and Avandamet. I am hoping that once I have surgery I can reduce this somewhat. I take the injections four times a day. I would like to at least get that number down. You just have to watch your carbs and make sure you get what they call good carbs. And I have found that if you eat carbs and fruit together that is bad too. So, try and split them up. Hope this helps. HUGGSS!! Tonya W INSULIN
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 822 views