New to this board

ladydi01
on 11/21/04 10:43 pm - Spring, TX
Hey you all. I did not know about this message board. This is great. I am 38 and have type 1 biabetes.... I had surgery on the 26th of May. I was mis diagnosed for many years. I also had what they called late onset Juvenile diabetes @ age 29. My Dr was amazing with the care I needed. My advice to anyone having this surgery is that you must make sure your Dr. will take your diabetes with top priority. My Dr. had an Endo and an Internist to take care of me during and after surgery. I am greatful to My Dr. The Internist had an absolut fit that they failed to give me insulin for about 8 hours. My sugar jumped to about 600. It also helped that my DH is very aware of what it takes to keep my b sugar down. I am on a Minimed pump. My insulin intake has dropped from 125 units to 35-38 units. I had no complications other than a long healing process. My sugars have been great. I am so glad I had this surgery. I would do it again. Diana
traceybubbles
on 11/27/04 11:06 pm - Syosset, NY
Hi Diana, I had mysurgery 8/4/04.i was on 110u plus units of NPH& humolog a day.Now im down to NONE! my endo continues to have me check my BS 4 x a day.which i admit ive been slacking with that and my A1C went up alittle bit so i better get diet controlled.if my doctor had told me losing 55lbs would get me off all diabetic meds,i wouldnt have belived him.you are so right about keeping on top of your on diabeticare.your doing great! Keep up the good work! All the best! Tracey
Carol-from-NJ
on 11/29/04 1:08 am - River Edge, NJ
Dear Diana, Hi. Good advice, I too am a true type 1 diabetic, also diagnosed at age 29. I had very severe complications and was hospitalized for the first 6 weeks after my WLS due to mis-management of my insulin levels post-op.I was in severe DKA etc. My husband and sister insisted that my endo. was consulted, along with my internist and these two doctors insisted that I be moved to the diabetes floor and taken off the surgical floor. This saved my life. My diabetiologist switched my to humalog and lantus, went from a total of 77 units daily to 24 units total. My glucose levels are excellent but as you know a true type 1 will be on insulin for life, unlike others who say they are "cured" and no longer need insulin. May you continue with good health and NEVER experience any of the devastating complications associated with diabetes. Sincerely, Carol
SJWendy
on 11/30/04 12:28 am - Swedesboro, NJ
Hi Diana, My story sounds identical to yours...I was diagnoised with onset juvenille diabetes at age 27 and I'm 37 now. I had my WLS in March and was seen by an endocronologist to manage my blood sugars in the hospital. Luckily all went well with the surgery, however my blood sugars were alittle erratic, nothing to your extreme tho, I can't even imagine what 600 feels like! I've been as high as 480 and feel awful. I ended up staying in ICU the 5 days I was in the hospital because everytime I was to go down to a reg room, my blood sugar would drop. I'm also on a minimed508 pump and pre-op I was taking about 120 units of Humalog, now I'm averaging about 50 units a day. However, I'm still a very brittle diabetic and have severe high and low blood sugars. I almost ended up in the ER the other night, my blood sugar dropped to 15. I can go from 300 down to 30 in a matter of an hour, especially at night. Seems I can't find a happy median of insulin to cover the highs. However, I'm so thankful for this surgery and know that my overall health has improved tremendously and I have tons of energy to keep up with my two toddlers. Lots of luck and I think its important for us "Type 1'ers" to stick together on this journey, as there aren't many of us out there. Wendy 275/184/145
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 147 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 475 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 816 views