type 2 diabetis

William B.
on 11/28/04 1:53 pm - Louisville, KY
I was going to have the lap band surg but Dr recommended the gastri by pass for me. I have passed all the medical tests required for the op but still a little nervous about it. Have to call his nurse in the am to let her know lap or by pass. What I am wondering, has anyone been on 3 different kinds of insulin and 7 shots total a day and if you had the op, did you lose the insulin afterwards. Feel like I'l attached to a medcine cabinet. Bill
Linda D.
on 12/3/04 3:36 am - Walpole, MA
Hi Bill, I don't have the answers you seek, but I share a similar profile. I have Type 2 diabetes, hypertension and high cholestrol. I take 3 diabetes meds, 2 for hypertension and 1 for cholestrol. Every color of the rainbow too!!! Insulin is next, which is what really scares me. I have just started the surgical process. I had my fist meeting with the surgeon and she also thinks open RNY is best for me. I am nervous also, but if you read everything you can on this site, you will be very well educated and able to ask the correct questions. I find I am a walking encyclopedia on this subject now - and learning more every day! Best of luck and let us know how things go.
J.M.G. O.
on 12/7/04 7:10 am - Plymouth, MN
Hi William, I am type II diabetic and before my surgery I used to take up to 45 units of humalog and 96 units of lantus at night. I gained 80 pounds in two years with the insulin. I remained on the maximum of glucophage, took avandia, then lasix to get rid of the extra water retention, cozaar for the high blood pressure, and several other meds for an inflammatory condition etc. etc. etc. total of 11 prescription meds. After the surgery, I went off of everything - and was doing extremely well until an allergic reaction to codeine. Sugars shot up to 250 with no sugar intake or carbs at all. So, had to add 24 units of lantus at bedtime. Since then, that is all I have been taking (for 1 week now). I had the gastric bypass - "open RNY". I'm so glad I did!! I feel so good and have already dropped 17 pounds. I just have a gastric drainage tube in now and can't wait for that to come out this coming Friday. Good luck in making your decision. Only you and your Doc know what is best for you! Take care...Jacquie O.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 157 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 484 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 828 views