Diabetes Question

Edward M.
on 12/8/04 9:40 am - Ann Arbor, MI
Hi all I had RNY Surgery in March of 2004. Since then, in 9 Months, I have lost 165 Pounds. In Late July I was rushed in to E.R for severe Maynutrition. They found my Blood Sugar level was 24. They said had I waited 1 hour more Id be Dead. They were amazed I was able to walk in let alone Talk! Well the U of Mich Docs told me I had to have Sugar to get my levels up. I was scared to Death of Dumping. Well as it turns out I only Dumped once right after Surgery and never have since. I can have any Sugar I want and am fine. And am still losing Weight at the normal rate. My question is, Now that I can have Sugar, do I run the risk of becoming Diabetic? Does the bypass cause Diabetes when you bring Sugar into the factor? Thanks in advance for your help Ed Mynning
Nancy K.
on 12/8/04 10:20 pm - Waterford, CT
Diabetes has 2 types - Type 1 - your pancreas stops secreting insulin and never functions properly again, WLS or not, you never get insulin other than the insulin that is injected or pumped into your body. Type 2 - very heretitary (sp?), usually affects you later in life and your pancreas is secreting insulin but your body is not absorbing it correctly. Sometimes can be controlled by diet, pills and some type 2's do inject insulin. It has NOTHING to do with how much sugar you eat!! If you do develop Diabetes, it is because of one of the reasons above, will not be related to having WLS (have not found any proof of that in all my research - and I have really researched!) and just an unfortunate coincidence. I have had type 1 for over 30 years and am on an insulin pump. Nancy K
TyLock
on 12/14/04 2:27 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
Howdy Ed, I am diabetic too, this is a very good question! If I find out anything about this I will let you know. I have some people I would like to talk to about it In HIS service, "waiting for surgery" Terri L.
Amy C
on 12/25/04 2:52 pm - VA
Chances are you might have hypoglycemia which is somewhat related to diabetes, but its not diabetes. It is a condition where you have low blood sugar unless you eat at more frequent intervals...either way, follow up with your primary care physician.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 159 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 487 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 830 views