New, Type 2, Scheduled for surgery

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/05 9:35 am - Phx, AZ
Hi. I am new to this site just this week. I am a Type 2 diabetic (about 18 years) and take insulin (about 17 years)... Humalin...R & N. When I first saw my new endocrinologist last March, she told me that she would get me off the insulin, because this is what was putting weight on me! She put me on Glucophage (2000/day) and Avandia (8mg/day). During the summer, I stopped taking the a.m. insulin altogether, since I had somewhat better control. Then I heard that even the PILLS cause you to gain/maintain the weight. Since that time, I have GAINED 15 pounds (in SIX months!!). Talk about depressing. My sugars are all over the place, as they start off relatively well in the morning, and by lunchtime, they are in the upper 200's. It's so frustrating. Not to mention the weight gain. I also have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, muscle pain for the past 15 years, depression, asthma, and a newly-found heart problem. Some caused by the weight, some not. I began at the weight loss clinic in July, began having my monthly weight/diet check-ups, which ended on January 18th. My info was forwarded to the insurance co on January 21st, and approved on the 26th!! In addition to the tests, probes, x-rays, stress tests, blood work, etc, my ins required a FOOD DIARY for up to one year...I had one for the past 8 months in conjunction to a health journal I have kept on my computer for 2 years. The weight loss clinic said that this REALLY helped make the approval process go more quickly. I am 2 1/2 weeks from my surgery (2/22), and next week (2 weeks prior) I'll start my pre-op diet. So, these 2 weeks prior to this pre-diet, I have been cutting my portions down and am ever more mindful of what types of food I eat... My sugars are down to between 85-100 in the morniing and not over 120 by lunch. I think a lot of it is portions and WHAT is eaten... I have usually 1/2 bagel and coffee for breakfast. Mid-morning I eat Yoplait Lite yogurt w/a few pecans. 1/2 sandwich for lunch, an apple or banana (or other fruit) mid-afternoon, and a decent/lite dinner. If I happen to serve myself too much food (usually dinner), I am at the point where I cannot fini**** I did not re-order my prescription for insulin this week. I know that my blood sugars will drop next week when I go on that pre-surg diet, and I can't afford too low sugars. I'll stay on my glucophage (already cut the Avandia) and hopefully will stop all meds soon. Hip hip! I am looking forward to posting my progress!!!
nefish
on 2/3/05 10:21 am - Rockport, TX
Liz, I was on Glucophage and Actos maximum dose and insulin pre surgery after surgery I was only on Glucophage at 1/2 dose my Dr thought he would try the avandia since the glucophage always made my stomach hurt, NO the avandia stopped my weight loss for 2 weeks so went back to glucophage and stayed on it til 8 weeks post op and have never taken another diabetes med and have maintained A1c levels below 6 and I was a diabetic for over 10 years myself. You will see an amazing difference for those of us who have been diabetics over 10 years though it might take a few more weeks or months to get totally off all meds so give it a chance to work. Good luck to you, Nancy
Jane S.
on 2/7/05 9:42 am - Redmond, WA
I'm new to this site and also a type 2 diabetic since 1998. My reason for investigating wls is to hopefully lower/get off the amount of diabetes meds I'm currently taking! I'm on 1000 mg glucophage TWICE a day, 20 mg of glucotrol XL TWICE a day and 45 mg of Actos in the am. Last year I gained 40 pounds in five months from the Actos!!! Thanks for your encouraging words....what "type" of wls did you have? Jane S.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 823 views